Petition: Releasing the Classic Disney Shorts on Blu-ray and DVD- Page 2 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Toonatic  
#21 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 6:51:40 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 228 time(s) in 165 post(s)
OK, time to kick this into overdrive:
https://www.facebook.com/events/989410737903257/
thanks 2 users thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 7/7/2018(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 7/7/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#22 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 7:28:27 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
OK, time to kick this into overdrive:
https://www.facebook.com/events/989410737903257/

Intriguing! What's the event you're mentioning?
Toonatic  
#23 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 7:36:14 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

It's basically to comment to the Disney Movie Club on Facebook and ask them to release the classic shorts on home video again.
thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 7/7/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#24 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 8:26:01 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

It's basically to comment to the Disney Movie Club on Facebook and ask them to release the classic shorts on home video again.

I wouldn't mind doing that, but I'd rather a mainstream home video release than a bare-bones disc with just the shorts on it (after all, haven't many of their animation releases contained no bonuses to think of?). There's obviously a market for the "Sensational Six", and yet the material they stemmed from are either not available in any form currently or only accessible to people who can stomach the inane pricing that's rampant on eBay (though some of them are readily available).
Toonatic  
#25 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 10:48:00 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Oh don't you worry; the goal is to get collection sets with extras for the die-hard fans.
WaltWiz1901 on 7/8/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#26 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 9:59:32 PM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Oh don't you worry; the goal is to get collection sets with extras for the die-hard fans.

Oh, no, I'm not at all worried about that (in fact, I would heavily support such a release; my Legacy Collection idea, anyone?). What I am worried about is how well a DMC-exclusive release of the shorts would do (and trust me, there is a much wider market for the Sensational Six than that); a mainstream release would, undoubtedly, be a much better way to go.

A compromise would be to produce both a version for the die-hard fans and collectors and another for casual fans who can't afford the bigger edition, but still want to buy some of the shorts on physical media. The Looney Tunes Golden Collection and the Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection being released alongside each-other is a near-perfect example of this marketing tactic.

.......or, to be more realistic, release something along the lines of the Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Film Collection (granted, not all the shorts would be released all at once, but such a release would mean that at least some of them are readily available).
Toonatic  
#27 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:42:59 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Well the key is to get them through retail, we'll specifically clear with that.
WaltWiz1901 on 7/13/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#28 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 6:42:37 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Well the key is to get them through retail, we'll specifically clear with that.

I know the purpose of your petition is to get the cartoons back in retail, but which tactic would work better: releasing a big collector's edition series with no smaller version available to entice consumers who don't want to have every short and are (to put it bluntly) *alien* to the more obscure and controversial content and characters, both a series aimed at collectors (like what I just mentioned) and a smaller one aimed at casual consumers (with only the more safer and popular shorts included), or a series similar to the Short Film Collection(s)?

Your intentions are certainly great, but there's little time left for Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment to announce a new home video release. Look at what's going on with the franchise recently: the company's marketing Mickey's 90th anniversary like crazy, and yet his source material isn't available on DVD, Blu-ray, or 4K UHD currently. They have four months left to do something about it, and people who have connections with them have been told when the shorts will be available again for years.
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#29 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 6:50:20 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Can I recomened something: how about putting the questionable and controversial stuff in a "from the vault's" section in the bonus features part of the discs. (Disney had done that before for the Walt Disney Treasures)
WaltWiz1901  
#30 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 9:19:13 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: VoiceTalentBrendan Go to Quoted Post
Can I recomened something: how about putting the questionable and controversial stuff in a "from the vault's" section in the bonus features part of the discs. (Disney had done that before for the Walt Disney Treasures)

I was going to do this with later volumes of my Legacy Collection.......and then scrapped it. If the purpose of these collections are to show the cartoons in chronological order, then why hide some of them behind an unskippable introduction separate from the main program? (Not to mention the inconsistency revolving around which cartoons are picked to go into the "Vault"; sometimes, a barely controversial short could end up being "vaulted" away from the others, while a more inappropriate short is left intact alongside the other, more "safer", shorts!)

As much as some people may be annoyed by them, placing an introduction to some of the shorts would be a better choice than to leave them in a separate section simply because of how offensive their content can be. If the purpose of the (collector-and-fan-aimed) collections are to present each cartoon in near-chronological order, why leave some of them out of the main package?
thanks 1 user thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 7/13/2018(UTC)