1927: Alice's Picnic - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cwguy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 10:57:28 AM(UTC)
cwguy

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does anyone know if the 1927 Alice Comedy: "Alice's Picnic" is lost? There seems to be conflicting information online on what the status of this cartoon is.... If you look up Alice Comedies on Wikipedia, it is not listed as lost. However, if you look up Disney shorts on wikipedia, it is listed as lost... Anyone know for certain which is correct?
Mac  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2018 2:32:50 AM(UTC)
Mac

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 32 post(s)
I believe this is cartoon is still lost. I hope someone will prove me wrong and I'll find out that researchers are now aware of an existing print, but I've heard no announcements like this.
cwguy  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2018 12:19:58 PM(UTC)
cwguy

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for the reply! Hopefully it turns up :-)
thanks 1 user thanked cwguy for this useful post.
Mac on 6/22/2018(UTC)
nickramer  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2018 11:17:19 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 161 post(s)
I'm sure I asked this before, but which Alices are still missing?
WaltWiz1901  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2018 9:47:30 PM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
I'm sure I asked this before, but which Alices are still missing?

If the Wikipedia articles "cwguy" mentioned at the beginning of the thread serve us right, there would be approximately 16 more "Alice Comedies" left to find. It's a bit confusing to figure it out precisely because one article says that a couple of shorts are lost and the other does not, but going by these articles, the following are still lost:
-Alice Charms the Fish
-Alice's Monkey Business
-Alice Cuts the Ice
-Alice the Lumber-Jack
-Alice the Golf Bug
-Alice Foils the Pirates
-Alice at the Carnival
-Alice the Collegiate
-Alice in the Alps
-Alice's Auto Race (okay, so the list of Disney shorts says this isn't missing, while the article on the "Alice Comedies" says it is........can anyone clear me on this one?)
-Alice's Knaughty Knight
-Alice's Three Bad Eggs
-Alice's Picnic (thanks, Mac, for telling us that this short is still lost)
-Alice's Channel Swim
-Alice in the Klondike
-Alice's Medicine Show
-Alice the Beach Nut
So, there's 17 more "Alice"s left. At the beginning of this post, I had said that there were approximately 16, and after checking my list, I could count 17. What is going on with the lost "Alice"s? How's the search going so far?
Mac  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 2:53:49 AM(UTC)
Mac

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 32 post(s)
A fragment of Alice's Auto Race survives, but is otherwise still a lost cartoon (as far as I am aware).

WaltWiz, I think your list is complete. However, I would also add that Alice Hunting in Africa only exists in a revised print – originally this film had a live-action framing story, like the other early entries in the series, although this may have been deleted before the cartoon was released to theatres.

I donate each month to Dave Bossert's Patreon effort to find and restore lost silent Disney cartoons. So far the effort has funded a restoration of 'Alice's Little Parade' which looks better and is more complete than what was available before. I know there are efforts underway to to gain access to a lost Disney cartoon, but it isn't an Alice (and I don't know which specific cartoon it is).
thanks 1 user thanked Mac for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 7/4/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 3:41:54 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mac Go to Quoted Post
A fragment of Alice's Auto Race survives, but is otherwise still a lost cartoon (as far as I am aware).

WaltWiz, I think your list is complete. However, I would also add that Alice Hunting in Africa only exists in a revised print – originally this film had a live-action framing story, like the other early entries in the series, although this may have been deleted before the cartoon was released to theatres.

I donate each month to Dave Bossert's Patreon effort to find and restore lost silent Disney cartoons. So far the effort has funded a restoration of 'Alice's Little Parade' which looks better and is more complete than what was available before. I know there are efforts underway to to gain access to a lost Disney cartoon, but it isn't an Alice (and I don't know which specific cartoon it is).

Huh, that's interesting to know about Hunting in Africa. Where could you be getting this information from - Walt in Wonderland (I have heard about this book, but I haven't received a copy as of now)?

I had no clue there was an existing Auto Race fragment while I was making my list. All I could see about it was that one article said it was lost (and yes, thanks for further insuring that) and the other said it wasn't (much like the original poster - *he* noticed that one short listed on both articles was listed as lost on one and "existing" on the other).