Bugs Bunny Show and other Warner Bros. TV shows - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark The Shark  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:27:38 AM(UTC)
Mark The Shark

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I know this side of the forum is for theatrical cartoons, but since the subject is the Warner Bros. cartoons, I thought this was the appropriate place for it.

Following the Porky Pig 101 collection, I wonder if any thought has been given to possible release of the Bugs Bunny Show and other TV shows through Warner Archive.

Yes, I know about how the color negatives were cut up and the few shows we got on the Golden Collections had to be reconstructed using a combination of black and white and color footage. But hear me out here.

What if they did something like this: Release the 52 episodes of the Bugs Bunny Show as is, in black and white, with the cartoons intact as well. Then as extras, add this kind of stuff:

• Any and all existing color footage of the interstitials/bumpers that would have been shown on the Saturday morning shows during the 1960s/1970s/early 1980s
  • Bugs Bunny Show openings and closings in color (whatever variations exist)
  • Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour/Show stuff (show openings, closings, bumpers, commercial lead-ins, "Part 2" and "Part 3" intros, etc.)
  • TV title card intros, as many as can be found

They could do a similar set for the Road Runner show, and in the spirit of the thing, just release the 52 Road Runner shows as they were, don't worry about restoring the cartoons (the cartoons have their own separate releases for that, and as far as the ones which haven't been released, release them in their own set).

I read recently that those little vignettes they used to show with the Road Runner and the Coyote in between cartoons were actually produced specifically for the Road Runner show, i.e. they were not clips from existing cartoons. How do you like that?

I'd also like to see any stuff from the Daffy Duck show, Daffy/Speedy Show, and Sylvester & Tweety show as well. As far as the Porky Pig show, is there any unique material not already released?

At this point, we are enough years removed that now there is probably a generation of fans who never even saw these shows. But I wonder if there is still enough interest for this to happen. All I can tell you is, The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show (before they screwed around with it) feels like "home" to me in my experience of watching the Warner Bros. cartoons, at least the post-1948s.

Who's with me? You think this would fly, or would too many people be screaming and complaining like with the Porky Pig set?

Edited by user Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:36:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Mark The Shark for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 1/10/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:56:59 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I'd be fine with something like that. (And yes, this is coming from someone who would rather see such a thing released as a "factory-pressed" retail release)
thanks 1 user thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
Mark The Shark on 1/11/2018(UTC)
cartoonfan  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 11:05:27 PM(UTC)
cartoonfan

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Same here. I'd buy that set in a heartbeat! The Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner show was my introduction to these cartoons and it's still my preferred way of watching them. As Mark said, it feels like home.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 10, 2018 11:06:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked cartoonfan for this useful post.
Mark The Shark on 1/11/2018(UTC)
Mark The Shark  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2018 8:03:30 AM(UTC)
Mark The Shark

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Speaking of the Bugs Bunny Show...

Many years ago I got a tape of some Bugs Bunny Shows from another collector. All four were clearly missing some pieces (like for instance the show opening was missing from all of them). The show opening would lead directly into the first stage scene, would it not? If so, that was gone too.

Anyway...the Bugs Bunny Show was shown in Saturday morning reruns for a number of years after the original prime time run. In 1964 when the Porky Pig Show started, they pulled the Porky Pig cartoons out of the Bugs Bunny Show. Two of the shows on the tape have a cartoon replaced. According to my notes, show #35 originally included the cartoon "Deduce, You Say" but it was replaced with "Duck Amuck." I also have a version of show #20 which includes a Foghorn Leghorn cartoon, but I don't know which one (on-screen titles were not shown in these episodes). However, my notes do say "first toon changed."

Is there any record of the cartoons that replaced the Porky Pig cartoons in later repeats of the Bugs Bunny Show?

Somewhere, I also have a one-hour show in color which appears to be two half-hours spliced together. They appear to be later (early 1970s) shows, and in fact match up with two of the shows listed on Kevin McCorry's episode list. But the individual cartoons have no title cards at all, and the opening fanfare animation is revised to have Bugs Bunny say, "This, folks, is a Warner Bros. SEVEN ARTS television production." This threw me for a loop because I thought the Warner Bros./Seven Arts branding was only used from 1968-1970, and "The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour" was airing in those years, through 1971 when WB was no longer using the Seven Arts name. At least, I thought that was the case...

By the way, stage scenes in all these shows was very minimal.

Edited by user Saturday, January 20, 2018 8:19:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ToonStar95  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2018 8:57:03 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 93 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Well, according to the copyrights of those shows, those unofficial third season episodes were put together in 1969, but I guess they didn't hit our screens until the start of the 1971-72 season on CBS.
thanks 1 user thanked ToonStar95 for this useful post.
Mark The Shark on 1/20/2018(UTC)