Totally Tooned In collection complete - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bradskey  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 12:53:13 PM(UTC)
Bradskey

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
This has been a back-burner project of mine for a few years apparently. TTI started airing in the US on the Antenna TV network broadcast back in 2011, and I suppose they kept airing it on early weekend mornings for a couple years at least. Having been an early cord-cutter and adopter of digital antenna broadcast, I setup a DVR at the time to record each airing and have about 10 months worth of recordings sitting around on an old hard drive, enough that each episode should repeat 3 or 4 times.

These were raw OTA transport streams (MPEG2), so the task was to cut out the crummier-than-usual broadcast commercials and stitch together complete individual episodes with any needed stream fixes (complete with open/close credits, bumpers, titles and previews), then convert all the MPEGs to MP4 files that I can stream to Roku devices. File naming and listing episodes was all thanks to Jerry Beck's full listing of the series.

Because it was a little bit of work I only just finally finished all 65 episodes. I would work on it a little at a time and then forget about it for months. Now all are complete with the exception of Episode 58. One recording of that episode was missing, another was damaged by poor reception beyond redemption that particular day, and the best copy had a small amount of reception glitch that destroyed the last few seconds of the cartoon "Lo, The Poor Buffal". OH well.

Antenna TV is always a digital sub-channel on broadcast, so my local affiliate only gave the program stream about 2Mbps of bandwidth, whereas a decent DVD might be encoded at around 5Mbps. These are only 480p 4:3 pictures of course. Overall the program looks pretty good, but there are occasional brief compression artifacts on very noisy or busy scenes (macro-blocking). My MP4 conversion preserved whatever picture info was there. On a large screen from across the room everything generally looks fine. The series does have a surprising amount of low grade audio hiss during many cartoons. Because Sony restored the cartoons for this series the pictures are generally very clean and colors are usually vivid.

The Mr. Magoo and the Jolly Frolics UPA cartoons of course have had decent DVD releases since then. But perhaps roughly half of the nearly 200 cartoons in the series are earlier Columbia Color Rhapsody cartoons from the 30s and 40s that mostly cannot be seen elsewhere. Most of these are one-shots, although there are a few series such as Fox and Crow and Scrappy. There is some slight editing of the cartoons for TV, and there are a few inexplicable cases of replacement audio and voice work. Crow Fox

This show is similar in concept and format to the Harveytoons Show which Jerry Beck also consulted on, with perhaps a little less editing (opening and ending titles are sometimes preserved). In both cases it was pretty much the only way to see the respective library of theatrical cartoons contained in them. I'm not sure any other such package series exist. One I thought of that might be nice to have released or on broadcast is the New Woody Woodpecker Show, but that of course was all new animation. Woody Woodpecker
ToonStar95  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 2:08:46 PM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 93 time(s) in 76 post(s)
I know what several Screen Gems shorts have had sequences with dubbed music and voices (usually by Corey Burton) due to licensing issues.
PopKorn Kat  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 2:19:23 PM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 246 time(s) in 184 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ToonStar95 Go to Quoted Post
I know what several Screen Gems shorts have had sequences with dubbed music and voices (usually by Corey Burton) due to licensing issues.

I know "Animal Cracker Circus" was redubbed.
nickramer  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 12:09:07 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 154 post(s)
I actually finished taping my show collection 3-4 years ago (back when my VCR was in better shape).

Edited by user Monday, January 1, 2018 12:09:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bradskey  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 2:28:15 AM(UTC)
Bradskey

I suppose I finished my collection several years ago, but just finished making it usable. Most of these I have not actually watched yet.

Here's a few screenshots from episode 63. Any screenshot requests?

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Bradskey for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 1/1/2018(UTC)
LuckyToon  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 2:53:59 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Who remembers the 1987 Woody Woodpecker Show? It's of course another package series that consists of 2 Woody Woodpecker cartoons, and a Chilly Willy cartoon in the middle. I don't remember if any of the cartoons edit out certain scenes, but I do know it only presents the cartoons with the titles and the original ending title. And it of course includes a newly animated opening, and the Musical Miniatures shown in between the cartoons with montages of clips from the Woody cartoons with new music, and sound effects.
Bradskey  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 3:04:18 AM(UTC)
Bradskey

Oh yes, that was the Program Exchange package I think? I watched and enjoyed it as a kid. I liked the Musical Miniatures too.

Although I'd like to be able to complete a collection for remastered/complete individual Woody shorts, as well as more Lantz deep catalog stuff, I really wouldn't mind having that 80s Woody package show too.
Bradskey  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:29:25 PM(UTC)
Bradskey

Duck Dodgers, I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.