What animation Blu-rays should I consider buying (or renting)? - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WaltWiz1901  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2017 9:33:41 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Recently, I received a Blu-ray player at a Christmas party. I was so intrigued by the idea of finally being able to upgrade to a format with much better resolution than DVD, but when it comes to what discs to try out, I can't decide.

What animated Blu-rays, whether it be sets loaded with fully restored shorts or the handful of television shows currently available on the format, do any of you recommend to me?
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2017 10:04:24 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 82 post(s)
here is what I recommend for you:

Thunderbean bluray of Fleischer Studio's Gulliver's Travels

The Looney Tunes Platinium Collection vol 1, 2, and 3

The Disney animated features on bluray

and if you like animation from Japan how about the Studio Ghibli Colection

there even more options here on this site. here take browse:
go to indexes, and click on home video

we have buying options via amazon links

Edited by user Sunday, December 24, 2017 10:06:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PopKorn Kat  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2017 10:47:25 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 330 time(s) in 240 post(s)
Technicolor Dreams and Black-and-White Nightmares and Van Beuren Classics by Thunderbean Animation. If you love early and weird animation, you're in for a treat. Both these sets have their fair share of both. Consider Van Beuren Classics a sampler into the studio's primitive, the weird, and the sappy. If you already have Steve's previous Van Beuren sets, the picture quality is a vast improvement.

The other Thunderbean Blus--Gulliver's Travels, Willie Whopper, and Cubby Bear--I don't have, but they've received nothing but praise, and I don't regret purchasing a single Thunderbean set, so I'd recommend you go out and buy those as well. Gulliver and Willie are still on my to-buy list.

If you love silent and early sound cartoons, snatch up Cartoon Roots and Cartoon Roots: Halloween Haunts. The first Roots contains a selection of early cartoons from some prominent animators that would go on to bigger things. Most of them are very rarely, if ever, seen, and one (Hot Toe-Mollie), is available for the first time.

(Yes, Tommy does have a Bray Studios Blu, but I don't have it because I pledged to his Bobby Bumps Blu-Ray drive on the tier that included that as a bonus.)
WaltWiz1901  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2017 8:42:23 PM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: VoiceTalentBrendan Go to Quoted Post
here is what I recommend for you:

Thunderbean bluray of Fleischer Studio's Gulliver's Travels

The Looney Tunes Platinium Collection vol 1, 2, and 3

The Disney animated features on bluray

and if you like animation from Japan how about the Studio Ghibli Colection

there even more options here on this site. here take browse:
go to indexes, and click on home video

we have buying options via amazon links

Those ideas all sound pretty great!

I haven't seen a lot of Fleischer Studios works or anime, so some of them may be a good way to introduce me to them.
WaltWiz1901  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2017 8:46:52 PM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post
Technicolor Dreams and Black-and-White Nightmares and Van Beuren Classics by Thunderbean Animation. If you love early and weird animation, you're in for a treat. Both these sets have their fair share of both. Consider Van Beuren Classics a sampler into the studio's primitive, the weird, and the sappy. If you already have Steve's previous Van Beuren sets, the picture quality is a vast improvement.

The other Thunderbean Blus--Gulliver's Travels, Willie Whopper, and Cubby Bear--I don't have, but they've received nothing but praise, and I don't regret purchasing a single Thunderbean set, so I'd recommend you go out and buy those as well. Gulliver and Willie are still on my to-buy list.

If you love silent and early sound cartoons, snatch up Cartoon Roots and Cartoon Roots: Halloween Haunts. The first Roots contains a selection of early cartoons from some prominent animators that would go on to bigger things. Most of them are very rarely, if ever, seen, and one (Hot Toe-Mollie), is available for the first time.

(Yes, Tommy does have a Bray Studios Blu, but I don't have it because I pledged to his Bobby Bumps Blu-Ray drive on the tier that included that as a bonus.)

I didn't get any Thunderbean DVDs or Blu-rays, Van Beuren or otherwise, prior to looking at this thread. I do like classic and early animation a lot, however, so I'll consider buying some of those in future!
WaltWiz1901  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 8:57:12 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Not sure if this is related to this thread, but I finally scored a true blue Blu-ray (yep, that piece of alliteration was definitely intended). Sure, it was only borrowed from another relative of mine (and the next time we go to that person's home, that disc is coming with me), but Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs seems like the perfect choice to begin my Blu-ray collection.

To make a long story short, the second disc, with its selection of "essential" short cartoons among the various other "making-of Snow White" bonuses, is ace. Despite The Skeleton Dance being cropped to plain fullscreen and its title card having music over it (plus Playful Pluto having its faux recreated title sequence), the handful of shorts I watched in their entirety look great.