Warner Archive presents "Porky Pig Black and White Shorts"!- Page 11 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
14 Pages«<910111213>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SuperMuppet64  
#201 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 9:27:34 AM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
the television cartoon restorations warner archive's putting out are near perfect, so why the same treatment (if not better) cant be put towards the theatricals is a bit strange...
thanks 4 users thanked SuperMuppet64 for this useful post.
TibbyH on 11/30/2017(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 11/30/2017(UTC), Toadette on 11/30/2017(UTC), Jason Todd on 11/30/2017(UTC)
TibbyH  
#202 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 9:55:12 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I bet you us animation enthusiasts with little to no money could do better restoration work than a major studio such as Warner Bros.
thanks 2 users thanked TibbyH for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 11/30/2017(UTC), Toadette on 11/30/2017(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#203 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 10:18:58 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 Go to Quoted Post
the television cartoon restorations warner archive's putting out are near perfect, so why the same treatment (if not better) cant be put towards the theatricals is a bit strange...

As noted several times, the reason this set isn't as "perfect" as the television series by Warner Archive is because they did not have enough money and resources to restore the original negatives (which is strange; didn't I hear somewhere that most of those to some of the shorts included here were restored a year before it was released?). Jerry Beck has informed us that the flaws that happened as a result of this will not happen again when they cover any more cartoon shorts, but whether or not he means it remains uncertain as of now.
thanks 1 user thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 12/1/2017(UTC)
Toonatic  
#204 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 11:20:00 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Was thanked: 182 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Look at it this way, for here on out it will get better and better. ;)
Blob55  
#205 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 7:55:14 PM(UTC)
Blob55

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
Look at it this way, for here on out it will get better and better. ;)

Even bad releases of cartoons not on DVD, are good, as it means WB are at least trying.

Though I do wish they'd have added more special features instead of taking the stuff from GC. I also find it funny that there's somehow at least one commentary per DVD, despite them all being listed in chronological order.
thanks 1 user thanked Blob55 for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 11/30/2017(UTC)
Jason Todd  
#206 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 8:40:48 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 10 post(s)
And who knows? Maybe, just maybe, one of these days, Warner might surprise us and reissue the set with all of the previously-unreleased cartoons restored properly. Just because Jerry Beck stated that half of the cartoons included on Porky Pig 101 will "never be released again", doesn't necessarily mean WB can't change their mind in the future--and they've done so before.
thanks 1 user thanked Jason Todd for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 11/30/2017(UTC)
TibbyH  
#207 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 9:36:52 PM(UTC)
TibbyH

United States

Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
And who knows? Maybe, just maybe, one of these days, Warner might surprise us and reissue the set with all of the previously-unreleased cartoons restored properly. Just because Jerry Beck stated that half of the cartoons included on Porky Pig 101 will "never be released again", doesn't necessarily mean WB can't change their mind in the future--and they've done so before.

I'm a sucker for Looney Tunes, so I'll still try to support them if they ever release any future DVD (or hopefully Blu-ray) sets. I'll just be a bit more cautious in the future.
thanks 1 user thanked TibbyH for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 12/1/2017(UTC)
Blob55  
#208 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 10:31:09 PM(UTC)
Blob55

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TibbyH Go to Quoted Post

I'm a sucker for Looney Tunes, so I'll still try to support them if they ever release any future DVD (or hopefully Blu-ray) sets. I'll just be a bit more cautious in the future.

I could tell by the cover art and that 5 DVDs are packed into a regular sized case, that it was a budget run. Though, it's better than nothing!
Mesterius  
#209 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 1:18:11 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Look at it this way, [from] here on out it will get better and better. ;)

Sadly, we don't know that yet.

For the record, I have decided not to buy this set. Instead, I'm going to purchase the few Looney Tunes: Golden Collection sets etc. that I still don't have in my collection. Because THAT's the kind of quality I wish to signal to Warner Brothers that I want more of.
nickramer  
#210 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 1:24:11 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 200 time(s) in 164 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post

For the record, I have decided not to buy this set. Instead, I'm going to purchase the few Looney Tunes: Golden Collection sets etc. that I still don't have in my collection. Because THAT's the kind of quality I wish to signal to Warner Brothers that I want more of.

Don't expect them to be gold-plated.

Edited by user Friday, December 1, 2017 1:26:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mesterius  
#211 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 1:38:42 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post

Don't expect them to be gold-plated.

Very funny, nickramer. ;) I already own the U.S. Golden Collection Volume 3, as well as European single-disc releases of Volumes 1, 2 and 4; so I know exactly what kind of quality I'll be getting there.

(Oh, and I also have all three Platinum Collection Blu-ray sets. No real platinum packaging, sadly, but I've been enjoying them all the same.)
LuckyToon  
#212 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 5:12:25 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)

True, a set like that won't happen again, but at least they will remaster some of those cartoons from the film negatives this time once they have the money to do it.
thanks 1 user thanked LuckyToon for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 12/1/2017(UTC)
TibbyH  
#213 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 5:15:18 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

United States

Perhaps this time Porky Pig was just the sacrificial lamb (or in this case ham) for hopefully more and better theatrical cartoon sets through Warner Archive.
Jason Todd  
#214 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 6:06:23 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post
True, a set like that won't happen again, but at least they will remaster some of those cartoons from the film negatives this time once they have the money to do it.

Well, I think we can all agree that a hundred-and-one cartoons crammed onto five discs was a bit too ambitious for the Archive to do in one sitting, with what little money they had to work with. Maybe if they manage to come up with enough money, they can re-release the set in two or three separate volumes, thereby handling it in a way similar to Warner Home Video proper's handling of the Popeye sets.

Edited by user Friday, December 1, 2017 6:08:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Jason Todd for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 12/1/2017(UTC), SuperMuppet64 on 12/1/2017(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 12/1/2017(UTC)
LuckyToon  
#215 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 11:06:02 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post

Well, I think we can all agree that a hundred-and-one cartoons crammed onto five discs was a bit too ambitious for the Archive to do in one sitting, with what little money they had to work with. Maybe if they manage to come up with enough money, they can re-release the set in two or three separate volumes, thereby handling it in a way similar to Warner Home Video proper's handling of the Popeye sets.

I mean if they re-release the shorts on individual LT DVD releases with other cartoons (not just on complete sets).
Jason Todd  
#216 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 11:33:46 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

I think it'd be interesting if they included some of Tex Avery's Porky cartoons in a compilation containing digitally restored transfers of his MGM shorts.
WaltWiz1901  
#217 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 4:37:13 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I think it'd be interesting if they included some of Tex Avery's Porky cartoons in a compilation containing digitally restored transfers of his MGM shorts.

It would be interesting, but it would also mean we would see some double-dipping in a set that doesn't necessarily need it. If we saw a disc themed to Porky in a collection succeeding the Golden and Platinum Collections (which is currently incredibly unlikely due to the current condition of releasing vintage material to mass marketers), then something along the lines of that would be more reasonable.
Jonathan Wilson  
#218 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 1:50:14 PM(UTC)
Jonathan Wilson

Man
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Michael Barrier gives an update with more info from Jerry, setting the record straight:

http://www.michaelbarrie...tml#porkypig101revisited
thanks 8 users thanked Jonathan Wilson for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 12/7/2017(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 12/7/2017(UTC), Jason Todd on 12/7/2017(UTC), dbear on 12/7/2017(UTC), Toadette on 12/7/2017(UTC), SuperMuppet64 on 12/7/2017(UTC), Biff-Stew on 12/8/2017(UTC), zurk on 12/11/2017(UTC)
Mesterius  
#219 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 1:00:52 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Jonathan Wilson Go to Quoted Post
Michael Barrier gives an update with more info from Jerry, setting the record straight:

http://www.michaelbarrie...tml#porkypig101revisited

Thanks for sharing! :)

RE: this part from Jerry...

Quote:
In comic book terms: Porky Pig 101 was an “ashcan issue”. A test. A canary in a coal mine. Warner’s hadn’t done a set using down and dirty copies before. There are no plans to ever do it again (that’s one lesson we’ve learned).

I'm glad to hear that lesson has been learned. But I think there's an even more important lesson that Warner REALLY NEEDS to learn: Don't let amateurs with no real knowledge about the cartoons change opening titles and audio tracks in post-production. Opening audio cues with a few damages here and there would have been vastly preferable to the bizarre edits many of the films were subjected to.

One of my big disappointments when it comes to what Jerry said on beforehand was that he addressed NOWHERE that a number of films had problems of this kind. Using dirty fine-grain transfers... that we can understand, given the economic limitations that the set had; and it was explained clearly by Jerry and George Feltenstein (for instance on the Warner Archive podcast). But what amounts to ridiculous edits removing the specific audio cues the cartoons had? That's the truly inexcusable part... and the part that NO ONE mentioned before the set was released.

Just to be clear, I'm not blaming Jerry for this stuff. I have a feeling he didn't even know this was being done to the transfers before the DVDs were produced. What I'm trying to get at is simply that Jerry and George's information on beforehand did not prepare us for the worst issues with the set. Hence the even bigger disappointment for many of us.
thanks 5 users thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
Toadette on 12/8/2017(UTC), Jason Todd on 12/8/2017(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 12/8/2017(UTC), Jonathan Wilson on 12/8/2017(UTC), zurk on 12/11/2017(UTC)
tonyboy85  
#220 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 1:12:24 AM(UTC)
tonyboy85

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Steve Stanchfield: "here are my thoughts about the recent Porky Pig 101 set.".

Cartoon Research: Thunderbean Thursday:
" "On Thimbles Or Something…" Short Thoughts on the Future of Collecting Animated Films ".

By Steve Stanchfield, 12/7/2017.

http://cartoonresearch.c...llecting-animated-films/

Edited by user Friday, December 8, 2017 1:21:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked tonyboy85 for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 12/8/2017(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 12/8/2017(UTC), Jason Todd on 12/8/2017(UTC), Jonathan Wilson on 12/8/2017(UTC)