The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection Restoration...- Page 2 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jason Todd  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:50:41 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post
I can already imagine a re-release of the complete Droopy DVD set with all of the cartoons remastered this time. But lets cross our fingers for Porky 101's sales, and keep buying the DVD if we want this to happen.

If you look at Warner Archive's site, Porky 101 is currently on the list of best-sellers.
WaltWiz1901  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2017 10:21:11 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
I can already imagine a re-release of the complete Droopy DVD set with all of the cartoons remastered this time. But lets cross our fingers for Porky 101's sales, and keep buying the DVD if we want this to happen.

If you look at Warner Archive's site, Porky 101 is currently on the list of best-sellers.

Yes, that's a good sign that we may get more theatrical animation released through Warner Archive.

However, if the same issues that happened the first time around (limited run of pressed copies, wrong opening music, many of the new-to-disc shorts having subpar picture quality) continue the next time they do something like this, I'm going to have doubts. Worse, would they resort to using the four DVNR abominations that were on Warner's first go-round with the Droopy shorts?
thanks 3 users thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 12/5/2017(UTC), Jason Todd on 12/5/2017(UTC), Mesterius on 12/5/2017(UTC)
nickramer  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2017 12:31:26 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post

Yes, that's a good sign that we may get more theatrical animation released through Warner Archive.

However, if the same issues that happened the first time around (limited run of pressed copies, wrong opening music, many of the new-to-disc shorts having subpar picture quality) continue the next time they do something like this, I'm going to have doubts. Worse, would they resort to using the four DVNR abominations that were on Warner's first go-round with the Droopy shorts?

I'm sure Jerry will try to keep eye on something like that (I hope).
Cool_Cat  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 1:55:02 AM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Italy

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 36 post(s)
The Droopy DVD had DVNR issues because they took the Turner masters from the 90s which already had DVNR. They SHOULD have a non DVNR-ed copy, but I guess they were too lazy to search for it.

In any case, The Three Little Pups was not DVNRed on the PAL version (both DVD and Cartoon Network), Wags to Riches has another print still done at the same time (like A Mouse in the House for an example) without DVNR, while the other two did not have DVNR in PAL areas but they were cut.

Instead Caballero Droopy has DVNR on the PAL print both on DVD and on TV.

Bradskey  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 3:25:48 AM(UTC)
Bradskey

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
As I recall the Woody sets were supposedly newly remastered from some quality 35mm film elements. Not restored, and I don't remember anything about original negatives. A few early ones are a little dark. A couple cartoons had some minor edits. I suppose there is DVNR, but nothing like the Droopy sets. I know there was the Universal fire a few years ago but somebody said that was old piles of video tape and negatives and such were in a cave somewhere. But who knows.

Compared to LTGC sets of 60 cartoons the Woody sets had 75 each. Few extras, but they were a reasonable value at the time.
thanks 1 user thanked Bradskey for this useful post.
SuperMuppet64 on 12/6/2017(UTC)
Mesterius  
#26 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 2:21:58 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dbear Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), the four DVNR-ed cartoons on the Droopy set were not old Turner prints like most of the rest... they were new prints prepared by Warner for the set, just "restored" in the worst way possible.

strange...perhaps the turner prints were used as a source for the cartoons they had "cleaned up." certainly doesnt look like a film print they scanned for one of the better restorations. judging by the image it resembles that of a tape master like the other turner prints.

Hmmm... if you take a screenshot from one of those DVNR-ed films, does it have narrow black pillars on the left and right sides? If so, that may be a sign that it's an old NTSC TV print rather than a digitally scanned film print.

I always assumed that the DVNR-ed films were new prints, since the other Academy Ratio shorts looked older as far as I recall. But then again, I have seen several Avery films with DVNR which clearly were old Turner prints... so I'm really not sure. And right now I don't have the DVD set handy to check myself.

My impression from watching the Droopy set a few months ago was that all the Academy ratio shorts except Dixieland Droopy were not "newly remastered", just the old "Turner TV broadcast prints".

I'm not so sure about that. At least, I'm not convinced that "Dixieland Droopy" is the ONLY newly transferred film. Here are some screenshots I came across straight from the DVDs; the first two from "Homesteader Droopy" and the third from "Three Little Pups". Have a look and compare them:

From "Homesteader Droopy"

From "Homesteader Droopy"

From "Three Little Pups"

Note how the "Three Little Pups" screenshot has those very visible black edges on both the left and the right side, a typical trait of analogue video prints (so this one is obviously an old TV print, despite what I thought about all the DVNR-ed films previously). Note, too, the signs of haloing in the "Pups" framegrab; both shots from "Homesteader" are clearly sharper. To me, this signals that "Homesteader Droopy" was at least newly transferred for the DVD set, if not restored and cleaned up.

Likewise, the below shots from "Droopy's Good Deed" and "Caballero Droopy" also look sharper than the "Three Little Pups" shot. And again, they don't have the signicant left-and-right black edges which they most likely would've had if they were old TV prints.

From "Droopy's Good Deed"

From "Caballero Droopy"

I think when it comes to the Droopy set, we need to separate between "newly transferred" and "newly restored" prints. If "Dixieland Droopy" looks cleaner and better than almost any other cartoon on the set, I suspect that's because it was the only one they went to the trouble of actually restoring, i.e. color-correcting, cleaning up for dirt and dust, etc. But it seems to me – just based on these few screenshots – that several other transfers were at least done for the DVD set, rather than being the 90s broadcast prints.

Edited by user Friday, December 8, 2017 2:25:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
Toadette on 12/8/2017(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 12/8/2017(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 12/8/2017(UTC)
dbear  
#27 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 6:26:31 AM(UTC)
dbear

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Dug the DVD out of storage and skimmed over all the Academy shorts, I'm still not fully convinced any shorts besides DIXIELAND DROOPY are remasters done for the set.

Another trait of many of the shorts on the collection that lead me to suspect these are "old broadcast masters" is the titles have coloured windowboxed bars.

The shorts on the collection that aren't pillarboxed but exhibit this trait are WAGS TO RICHES, DAREDEVIL DROOPY, CABALLERO DROOPY and HOMESTEADER DROOPY. It is possible these were prepared later than the other shorts but I doubt these are new masters done for the set.

There are two pillarboxed shorts that does not have its titles windowboxed (NORTHWEST HOUNDED POLICE and THREE LITTLE PUPS, the latter looks spectacularly awful due to the DVNR)

Colour differences may not be a good guide since some of the pillarboxed shorts have excellent colour for supposed "old analog masters".

Incidentally, DROOPY'S GOOD DEED does not posses these 2 traits (pillarboxing, coloured title windowboxing) but it has an odd vertical bar of some sort towards the right edge of the screen (not a film scratch), only present during the main body of the cartoon.

Too tired to type any other observations for now, hope this is of interest to someone.
thanks 2 users thanked dbear for this useful post.
SuperMuppet64 on 12/8/2017(UTC), Mesterius on 12/10/2017(UTC)