Discussion Regarding Warner's Weird Decision-Making in Recent Years- Page 2 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WaltWiz1901  
#21 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 8:36:52 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
I'm also not entirely happy about the fact that there are two Looney Tunes Super Stars volumes with two thirds of their content cropped almost beyond recognition, that these were released over seven years ago and have since been reissued several times without this issue fixed, and that Warner Home Video STILL has yet to issue any kind of solution for this problem.

And yes, I am aware of the fact that said content is now available on the Boomerang app in its correct aspect ratio, but the availability of most of these previously-widescreened Bugs and Daffy shorts in their proper format is currently exclusive to that streaming service. Not exactly fair, in my opinion.

I never got that, either, and only four of the affected shorts were corrected. You're right on the ball with that.....The Bugs Bunny Video Guide refuses to acknowledge if shorts are available only in matted widescreen (the "Finish the Wabbit" picture on their page on this issue features the other 16 shorts on there, which shows how mental they are when it comes to releasing the shorts the right way).
Jason Todd  
#22 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 2:07:33 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Yeah, honestly... What the fuck is their deal?? And nothin' for nothin', but the issue with the cropped Looney Tunes has nothing to do with political correctness. And they still aren't fixing it! It's ridiculous.
User is suspended until 6/14/2292 4:56:53 PM(UTC) LuckyToon  
#23 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 10:41:47 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
If I was working as CEO of WB, I would most definitely re-release all of the remaining cropped LT cartoons to home video in their original aspect ratio (aside from including new-to-home-video cartoons), re-release the complete Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry cartoons for DVD and Blu Ray also left in their original aspect ratio, and even release all the Hanna and Barbera directed T&J cartoons (including the Censored 2 cartoons), the remaining MGM cartoons (mainly the Tex Avery directed and Barney Bear cartoons), and the Technicolor Famous Studio era Popeye cartoons all on DVD and Blu Ray in remastered quality for collectors.
thanks 1 user thanked LuckyToon for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 11/28/2017(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 12:26:01 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 81 post(s)
so, who's going to be Warner's legal team?
WaltWiz1901  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 2:00:51 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post
If I was working as CEO of WB, I would most definitely re-release all of the remaining cropped LT cartoons to home video in their original aspect ratio (aside from including new-to-home-video cartoons), re-release the complete Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry cartoons for DVD and Blu Ray also left in their original aspect ratio, and even release all the Hanna and Barbera directed T&J cartoons (including the Censored 2 cartoons), the remaining MGM cartoons (mainly the Tex Avery directed and Barney Bear cartoons), and the Technicolor Famous Studio era Popeye cartoons all on DVD and Blu Ray in remastered quality for collectors.

Firstly, if the Platinum Collection had continued with putting half-new-to-disc, half-double-dipped shorts on Blu-ray, we would have possibly seen more previously-cropped shorts in the correct ratio (like what was done on the first volume). Unfortunately, the legal department had no clue about this hindsight, and instead decided to double-dip 46 shorts on the third volume.
As for the rest, I agree with you all the way........I also came up with ideas similar to those as well.

PopKorn Kat  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 2:21:15 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 288 time(s) in 216 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post

Firstly, if the Platinum Collection had continued with putting half-new-to-disc, half-double-dipped shorts on Blu-ray, we would have possibly seen more previously-cropped shorts in the correct ratio (like what was done on the first volume). Unfortunately, the legal department had no clue about this hindsight, and instead decided to double-dip 46 shorts on the third volume.
As for the rest, I agree with you all the way........I also came up with ideas similar to those as well.

The legal department was responsible? Pardon my ignorance, but when were they responsible?
TibbyH  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 2:31:48 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 42 post(s)

After reading the blog from the Looney Tunes DVD News site, it seems the reason the widescreen issue happened was to capitalize off the widescreen TV market. It seems the discs were made to appease family audiences, so they released them to fit the ratios of HD TVs and claimed they were 'historically correct".
thanks 2 users thanked TibbyH for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 11/28/2017(UTC), Jason Todd on 11/28/2017(UTC)
SuperMuppet64  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 4:32:58 AM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
i believe they were shown in widescreen in some theaters, the title cards are clearly made to fit inside a wide image and most of the cartoons are staged to fit in such an area. however featuring them only in widescreen on the dvds was a big mistake, especially since just about every other release and television airing had them in fullscreen.
thanks 1 user thanked SuperMuppet64 for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 11/28/2017(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 4:34:30 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: TibbyH Go to Quoted Post

After reading the blog from the Looney Tunes DVD News site, it seems the reason the widescreen issue happened was to capitalize off the widescreen TV market. It seems the discs were made to appease family audiences, so they released them to fit the ratios of HD TVs and claimed they were 'historically correct".

That's correct.

Reasonably, according to the same page, consumers who did care about the "Looney Tunes" went into an uproar over this decision, not only because the top and bottom of the frame were cut off, but the shorts were never actually meant for a "wide" screen (which brings up another thing - why would the extra picture information at the sides of the screen be covered up on the full screen versions, yet the information on the tops and bottoms are covered up on the widescreen versions? Why can't we view them in "open matte" and view the entire picture as opposed to losing and gaining picture data?) and in some cases, parts of the characters' heads are chopped off. I recall reading that there would be future releases with the error corrected, but that thought has since been left in the past.

The new 4K Blu-rays of the "big three" Peanuts specials are like this, too, but like with some of the Looney Tunes Super Stars DVDs, you can decide which aspect ratio you would like to watch the content in.
User is suspended until 6/14/2292 4:56:53 PM(UTC) LuckyToon  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:03:51 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 Go to Quoted Post
i believe they were shown in widescreen in some theaters, the title cards are clearly made to fit inside a wide image and most of the cartoons are staged to fit in such an area. however featuring them only in widescreen on the dvds was a big mistake, especially since just about every other release and television airing had them in fullscreen.

True, and besides, you can crop them yourselves since most HDTV have an option to crop the Picture Format by selecting Zoom (which of course crops the top and bottom as expected).
WaltWiz1901  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:20:44 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 Go to Quoted Post

True, and besides, you can crop them yourselves since most HDTV have an option to crop the Picture Format by selecting Zoom (which of course crops the top and bottom as expected).

As a matter of fact, I do have a HDTV. When I tried out one of my brother's cartoon DVDs on it, I cropped the opening titles to see how they (being from a post-1953 short, after all) would look on it; it actually didn't look bad at all compared to how the body of the short would be, since they were the only (and I mean only) part of the short that were modified to allow for widescreen cropping.

Another thing to note about my last post on this thread......if they were going to crop the image of the shorts no matter what anyone said, why didn't they just crop out the parts of the screen that don't have much detail? That would not only be less harmful to the image, but would make the image just as suitable for widescreen as full screen.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:23:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Blob55  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:58:18 PM(UTC)
Blob55

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
I'm also not entirely happy about the fact that there are two Looney Tunes Super Stars volumes with two thirds of their content cropped almost beyond recognition, that these were released over seven years ago and have since been reissued several times without this issue fixed, and that Warner Home Video STILL has yet to issue any kind of solution for this problem.

And yes, I am aware of the fact that said content is now available on the Boomerang app in its correct aspect ratio, but the availability of most of these previously-widescreened Bugs and Daffy shorts in their proper format is currently exclusive to that streaming service. Not exactly fair, in my opinion.

Plus the Boomerang app is US exclusive.
thanks 1 user thanked Blob55 for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 11/29/2017(UTC)
Mark The Shark  
#33 Posted : Monday, December 18, 2017 7:12:19 AM(UTC)
Mark The Shark

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
There's a theory that one of the higher-ups (an African American from what I heard) bought a T&J tape from MGM for her kids at the time containing Mouse Cleaning. She was so appalled that she vowed that (and Casanova Cat) would never see the light of the day again. From what I also heard, she doesn't intend to step down at any time. Clarify me on this if you must, I'm just gathering pieces and connecting the dots to what I heard.

My theory still stands; release all the "offensive" cartoons in a set sold exclusively on the TCM website. I honestly don't see how hard that can be nor any reason why it's a bad idea.

Personally, I don't buy that. I think someone back on the old forum said someone on the Home Theater Forum said that, but I doubt it's true. It doesn't explain the lack of consistency between releasing other racist material and withholding these two shorts. Also, this sounds like something that would be vetoed by another set of higher-ups.

EDIT: I see someone has thanked my post, so let me clarify. I looked through the Home Theater Forum and there are several people indeed confirming that it is a problem with the legal department and that there is at least one person withholding the cartoons. What I don't get is why these people have a problem with these specific cartoons when there's all sorts of other stuff that could have been pulled from shelves long ago. I should mention that Porky Pig 101 was released after this whole controversy and that contains its fair share of racist cartoons. I feel there's gotta be something more than just a few people finding the shorts offensive.

My theory is this: The person who makes those decisions knew, or was told, that those two cartoons had been withheld from the Spotlight Collections and why. Therefore, they were barred from the new series, end of story. Said executive probably has never seen the cartoons in question, was just told they were racist, end of story.

Probably the same deal with the "Censored 11." They were censored, therefore they are bad and cannot be released.

The "inconsistency" of Warner having released other cartoons which could similarly be considered questionable, is probably because the executive isn't personally familiar with the cartoons and is only going by what they have been told.

When the Family Channel ran the Three Stooges, they would not show "The Yoke's On Me." The book "The Three Stooges Scrapbook" has a filmography with summaries and notes on the films. The entry for that film had a reference to it having been "blacklisted by some television stations due to its racial content." I remember reading a quote from a letter from the Family Channel to a viewer who had inquired about this. The letter lifted that sentence verbatim from the book and added "We will not be airing this episode." I bet all they had to see was the word "racial" and that was enough.
Mark The Shark  
#34 Posted : Monday, December 18, 2017 10:56:58 AM(UTC)
Mark The Shark

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TibbyH Go to Quoted Post

This applies to just about all films of that era. Complain about it and you will get the same "historically correct, director's intention" argument, especially at sites like Home Theatre Forum. I don't know why the Warner toons got exempted from this, but I'm glad they are (except for those few on those two DVDs). Money talks, I guess.