Questions Regarding Thunderbean's 2005 DVD Release "Attack of the 30's... - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jason Todd  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 5:11:30 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I purchased a copy of Thunderbean's 2005 DVD Attack of the 30s Characters fairly recently, mainly for the restored print of the 1936 MGM Harman/Ising classic To Spring (one of my all-time favorites). Though I do agree wholeheartedly that it's quite a beautiful restoration, especially for an "unofficial" Public Domain release that was put out during a period of time in which third parties were releasing messy, unauthorized DVDs of the same Public Domain material--but sourced from nauseatingly faded, tampered-with prints--it's chock-full of compression artifacts. By today's standards, the quality of the contents found on Attack of the 30s Characters is comparable to laserdisc quality. That having been said, it is of my understanding that To Spring was later remastered again for the 2014 Blu-ray release Technicolor Dreams and Black and White Nightmares. Is this newer restoration an improvement? Bear in mind, I'm not too familiar with Thunderbean's output, but I hear Mr. Stanchfield and his team have established themselves a pretty damned favorable reputation 'round these parts, and I'm considering purchasing a copy of Technicolor Dreams... Is that a recommendable idea?
Mesterius  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 6:00:59 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
I purchased a copy of Thunderbean's 2005 DVD Attack of the 30s Characters fairly recently, mainly for the restored print of the 1936 MGM Harman/Ising classic To Spring (one of my all-time favorites). Though I do agree wholeheartedly that it's quite a beautiful restoration, especially for an "unofficial" Public Domain release that was put out during a period of time in which third parties were releasing messy, unauthorized DVDs of the same Public Domain material--but sourced from nauseatingly faded, tampered-with prints--it's chock-full of compression artifacts. By today's standards, the quality of the contents found on Attack of the 30s Characters is comparable to laserdisc quality. That having been said, it is of my understanding that To Spring was later remastered again for the 2014 Blu-ray release Technicolor Dreams and Black and White Nightmares. Is this newer restoration an improvement? Bear in mind, I'm not too familiar with Thunderbean's output, but I hear Mr. Stanchfield and his team have established themselves a pretty damned favorable reputation 'round these parts, and I'm considering purchasing a copy of Technicolor Dreams... Is that a recommendable idea?

I don't own the 2005 DVD, but I DO have "Technicolor Dreams and Black and White Nightmares". Just from your description of the DVD, I can assure you that the Blu-ray is a huge improvement. "To Spring" looks beautiful in high definition.
Jason Todd  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 6:12:40 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post

I don't own the 2005 DVD, but I DO have "Technicolor Dreams and Black and White Nightmares". Just from your description of the DVD, I can assure you that the Blu-ray is a huge improvement. "To Spring" looks beautiful in high definition.

If possible, screenshots would be most appreciated.
Mesterius  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 11:37:28 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post

If possible, screenshots would be most appreciated.

You can watch some actual HD footage in this trailer for the Blu-ray, at 00:20:

It doesn't look quite as sharp as some of the surrounding clips, so I'm guessing it's one of the films that was restored from a 16mm print rather than a 35mm one. (I don't have the Blu-ray handy right now to check if the description mentions it.) That said, the trailer might be slightly compressed as well compared to the quality on the actual Blu-ray. As far as I remember, the short looked very good on my flatscreen TV.

Edited by user Monday, October 30, 2017 11:39:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 10/30/2017(UTC)