Cartoon Network Has HD Tom and Jerry Masters For Select Shorts? - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Looney Tunes Fan  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2017 10:11:00 PM(UTC)
Looney Tunes Fan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 26 post(s)
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I had to share the news.

For the first time in YEARS, CN actually played a Tom and Jerry short in it's correct 4:3 aspect ratio! I was watching the entirety of this morning's Tom and Jerry lineup, same old same old stretched SD prints. Then, at 9:53am CT, out of nowhere, a Tom and Jerry cartoon (for those wondering which one, it was "Cat Fishin') starts up, but in 4:3 (with black bars on the sides of course)! I could hardly believe it! They hadn't done that to my knowledge since 2013! It would seem that CN has finally acquired some of the HD Tom and Jerry masters used for the Golden Collections!

However, since the channel still runs primarily in HD (even their SD feed is just a downscaled version of their HD one now), any of their old SD prints are still going to be ran stretched out, unfortunately. But, it's still great to see at least some of the Tom and Jerry shorts being ran in 4:3 again, after many years of seeing the same stretched out SD prints on the channel.

The only reason I can think of as to why CN would start doing this is because they want to have their channel to have as much HD content as possible. I'll gladly accept that, if it means we can finally start seeing more Tom and Jerry shorts (and perhaps Looney Tunes should they ever come back to CN?) in their original 4:3 ratio! Tom Cat Jerry

Edited by user Monday, September 18, 2017 10:12:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Looney Tunes Fan for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 9/19/2017(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 9/19/2017(UTC), Toonatic on 9/19/2017(UTC)
Toonatic  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:15:36 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 123 post(s)
That is so cool! Wish I could've seen it.
Mario500  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:23:28 PM(UTC)
Mario500

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Looney Tunes Fan Go to Quoted Post
Then, at 9:53am CT, out of nowhere, a Tom and Jerry cartoon (for those wondering which one, it was "Cat Fishin') starts up, but in 4:3 (with black bars on the sides of course)!]

Did you see any more Tom and Jerry movies (cartoons) in their proper format or formats through the Cartoon Network recently?

Mario500  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2017 1:55:17 AM(UTC)
Mario500

The Tom and Jerry movies I saw through a live video stream for the Cartoon Network since this past Wednesday were not displayed in their proper formats (one of them had an aspect ratio of 2.35 : 1 ("Down Beat Bear")).
Toadette  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2017 2:32:01 AM(UTC)
Toadette

Was thanked: 225 time(s) in 188 post(s)
Um, "Down Beat Bear" was made in CinemaScope, meaning that the short should be 2.35:1 to begin with (the version that usually played is pan-and-scan).

More importantly, does this mean CN is now airing the restored versions of the CinemaScope shorts as well?
Looney Tunes Fan  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2017 7:57:16 AM(UTC)
Looney Tunes Fan

Originally Posted by: Mario500 Go to Quoted Post
Then, at 9:53am CT, out of nowhere, a Tom and Jerry cartoon (for those wondering which one, it was "Cat Fishin') starts up, but in 4:3 (with black bars on the sides of course)!]

Did you see any more Tom and Jerry movies (cartoons) in their proper format or formats through the Cartoon Network recently?

No, I haven't seen anymore since Monday, but I haven't been watching any other day either.

Originally Posted by: Toadette Go to Quoted Post
Um, "Down Beat Bear" was made in CinemaScope, meaning that the short should be 2.35:1 to begin with (the version that usually played is pan-and-scan).

More importantly, does this mean CN is now airing the restored versions of the CinemaScope shorts as well?

That'd be interesting to see, but unless those were restored in HD, I doubt it (it was probably the same SD pan-and-scan print that they always play). Due to the way CN broadcasts now, any SD materials (even if restored for DVD release) are going to be stretched out to fill the 16:9 ratio that CN broadcasts in.
Toonatic  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2017 11:02:26 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

That'd be interesting to see, but unless those were restored in HD, I doubt it (it was probably the same SD pan-and-scan print that they always play). Due to the way CN broadcasts now, any SD materials (even if restored for DVD release) are going to be stretched out to fill the 16:9 ratio that CN broadcasts in.

May not be that farfetched. Down Beat Bear was remastered around the time WB was restoring things in HD (Looney Tunes Golden Collection V2 was one of the firsts).
Mario500  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2017 12:17:08 AM(UTC)
Mario500

Originally Posted by: Toadette Go to Quoted Post

I believe you misunderstood one of my previous messages. I could reword it for you if you did:

The Tom and Jerry movies I saw through a live video stream for the Cartoon Network since this past Wednesday were not displayed in their proper formats (I believe the proper aspect ratio for one of them ("Down Beat Bear") is 2.35 : 1).

By the way, I saw a recording of the Tom and Jerry movies broadcast on the high-definition programming feed for the Cartoon Network this morning through a cable TV receiver and had noticed that none of them were displayed properly.
thanks 1 user thanked Mario500 for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 9/23/2017(UTC)
Mesterius  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 9, 2017 9:55:22 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 33 post(s)
I wasn't quite sure where to post this...

Uh, just so you know, this clearly belongs in the "Classic Animation (pre 1970's)" category.

Edited by user Monday, October 9, 2017 10:02:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Looney Tunes Fan  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 9, 2017 10:36:08 PM(UTC)
Looney Tunes Fan

Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
I wasn't quite sure where to post this...

Uh, just so you know, this clearly belongs in the "Classic Animation (pre 1970's)" category.

While it is true that the original Tom and Jerry shorts are definitely pre-1970s classic animation, this posting is mainly about a television airing of said shorts, and this board has been used to catalog TV airings of classic pre-1970s shorts before. Thus, my confusion as to where to post it. :)
Toonatic  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 8:19:22 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

An update: 2 Tom and Jerry shorts shown tonight on Boomerang were also transfers from the Golden Collection (one of them, That's My Pup, still yet to be released via Volume 2) and the same windowboxed presentation and the same can be said for the Looney Tunes short Clippety Clobbered (which aired recently) whose transfer came from the Super Stars set.
thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
Looney Tunes Fan on 10/11/2017(UTC)
Looney Tunes Fan  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:46:09 PM(UTC)
Looney Tunes Fan

Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
An update: 2 Tom and Jerry shorts shown tonight on Boomerang were also transfers from the Golden Collection (one of them, That's My Pup, still yet to be released via Volume 2) and the same windowboxed presentation and the same can be said for the Looney Tunes short Clippety Clobbered (which aired recently) whose transfer came from the Super Stars set.

Interesting. Maybe we'll see them show up on CN too at some point, since both Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes are currently scheduled to start airing again on CN next week Tuesday.

Thanks for the info! Tom Cat Jerry
Toonatic  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 24, 2017 2:23:49 PM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Some more updates, because they were sourced from the recent GC masters, The Little Runaway and Kitty Foiled are now uncut with the Chinese and Native American gags respectively. Advance and Be Mechanized is from a new remaster as it can be identified by being presented in 4:3 window-boxed.

Though some sad news, for whatever reason, Boomerang has dropped the Gene Deitch shorts from broadcast.
Looney Tunes Fan on 10/26/2017(UTC)
LuckyToon  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 25, 2017 5:43:53 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Though some sad news, for whatever reason, Boomerang has dropped the Gene Deitch shorts from broadcast.

I would careless about those cartoons not airing anymore since they are poorly made anyways. Most people don't really like those Gene Deitch era T&J cartoons (even I wasn't impressed by the cartoons).
Mario500  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 25, 2017 4:35:42 PM(UTC)
Mario500

Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post

I would careless about those cartoons not airing anymore since they are poorly made anyways. Most people don't really like those Gene Deitch era T&J cartoons (even I wasn't impressed by the cartoons).

I had always liked those cartoons (especially for their distinct sounds and visuals).

Some more updates, because they were sourced from the recent GC masters, The Little Runaway and Kitty Foiled are now uncut with the Chinese and Native American gags respectively. Advance and Be Mechanized is from a new remaster as it can be identified by being presented in 4:3 window-boxed..

What did you mean by "Native American gags"?

Looney Tunes Fan  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:57:13 AM(UTC)
Looney Tunes Fan

Some more updates, because they were sourced from the recent GC masters, The Little Runaway and Kitty Foiled are now uncut with the Chinese and Native American gags respectively. Advance and Be Mechanized is from a new remaster as it can be identified by being presented in 4:3 window-boxed.

Thanks for the info Toonatic! Great to see that more Tom and Jerry remastered shorts are getting added to the rotation on Boomerang (and interesting to see a new remaster for a Chuck Jones T&J short pop up too!). However, it's sad to see the Gene Deitch T&J shorts get removed from Boomerang's rotation. Perhaps Turner is in the process of acquiring remastered copies of those shorts as well (weren't they remastered for a DVD release not too long ago?) ?
Toonatic  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2017 1:43:24 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

They were remastered for the Gene Deitch Collection, yes.

I feel though with the way things are going with the alphabetical listings for both Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes, they're going to keep this on auto-pilot for the time being.
Toonatic  
#18 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:10:37 PM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Something you won't see on Boomerang often; the cinemascope version of the Tom and Jerry short "Pet Peeve" airing now!
VoiceTalentBrendan on 10/26/2017(UTC)
Cool_Cat  
#19 Posted : Friday, October 27, 2017 1:11:18 AM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Italy

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 36 post(s)
It looks like the Pan & Scan and 16:9 cropped versions are the same they air in the UK but with a big difference, all the shorts are unedited.

Then again, it's probably not good news because all the shorts which do not have HD masters (like Mouse for Sale) will never air again.
rodineisilveira  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 10:48:47 PM(UTC)
rodineisilveira

Man
Brazil

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Here in Brazil and Latin America, Cartoon Network and Boomerang come broadcasting these Tom & Jerry remastered shorts in HD.

Mammy Twoshoes "THOMAS!"

thanks 1 user thanked rodineisilveira for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 11/8/2017(UTC)