Stressed Eric - The NBC version - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PopKorn Kat  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2016 9:16:29 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 342 time(s) in 243 post(s)
Stressed Eric is a 13-episode, two-season (or series, as the show is British) cartoon produced by Absolutely Productions for The BBC, running from 1998 to 2000. It centers around a man named Eric Feeble who has to juggle raising two children, a drunken housemaid, an arrogant boss, and the stuck-up Perfect family. Not a show for everybody, as the humor is derived from the world’s relentless cruelty towards Eric, who has done nothing deserving of it, but it has a following, enough that it was released on DVD in regions 2 and 4 on May 2, 2011.

In August 1998, NBC attempted to introduce the series to an American audience. Eric’s voice, originally by Mark Heap, was redubbed by Hank Azaria. The Story of Stressed Eric, a documentary on the 2011 DVD set, recalls that this was because NBC feared that their audience would be unable to identify with a British character. Additionally, the theme song was changed because executives thought it was (exact words) “too stressful.” The episodes also had cuts for time. Despite an advertising campaign promoting the series on the levels of South Park and The Simpsons, the series did not last long, with only three episodes (out of six) being aired.

The United States’ neighbor up north, Canada, had better luck (or worse, depending on whether or not you like the show). Kids’ network YTV aired all six episodes of the first series in a marathon in November 1999, after which they showed one episode of the show a week.

Save for one promo online, I have not been able to find any audio (or footage) relating to the NBC/American dub of Stressed Eric. Even after all of this, I’m still curious to hear with Azaria’s take on Eric sounds like.

(Sources: Rugrats Online's Stressed Eric page, which mentions YTV airing the show)

Any assistance in getting video (or even audio) from this version of the series would be greatly appreciated.
nickramer  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2016 10:36:33 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 242 time(s) in 201 post(s)
Wasn't the U.S. version on Hulu up until very recently or was that the original U.K. version? I can't tell now since the site is completely subscription only. It used to be partly free. Yosemite Sam

Edited by user Saturday, October 29, 2016 2:33:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PopKorn Kat  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2016 10:39:03 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 342 time(s) in 243 post(s)
Quote:
Wasn't the U.S. version on Hulu up until very recently or was that the original U.K. version? I can't tell now since the site is completely subscription only now. Yosemite Sam

Unfortunately, I don't know either, since I don't have a subscription to Hulu and never have.
rodineisilveira  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:48:47 AM(UTC)
rodineisilveira

Groups: Registered
Man
Brazil

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Here in Brazil and in the Latin America, Stressed Eric was broadcasted by the late Locomotion channel.

Ian L.  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 7:40:30 AM(UTC)
Ian L.

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I've seen all three episodes that were re-dubbed with Hank Azaria's voice. I even taped two of them ("Nativity" and "Hospital")- unfortunately, I have long since taped over those episodes. I did not have an archivist mentality back in my teenage years...

To give you an idea of Hank's take on the character, think a whinier Frank Grimes from "The Simpsons" and you get the idea.

EDIT: I distinctly remember tuning in for the fourth episode, which was even listed in the TV Guide, only to find a re-run of the "Working" episode "Sam I Am".

Edited by user Tuesday, September 5, 2017 7:46:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Ian L. for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 9/5/2017(UTC)