Random Looney Tunes Thoughts- Page 4 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
6 Pages«<23456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LuckyToon  
#61 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 5:44:19 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: speedy fast Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, it seems like for the last few years, whenever I've watched Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network (which hasn't been often), it seems like they've only played cartoons with Bugs, Daffy, Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote, Foghorn Leghorn, and maybe Sylvester and Tweety. On New Years 2016, there was a big Looney Tunes marathon, and those seemed to be the only characters included (well, I think it did show a few solo Sylvester cartoons, and the only Tweety cartoons I recall were Carrotblanca and Superior Duck, cartoons where he's not the star). No Porky without Daffy, no Elmer without Bugs or Daffy, no Speedy or Pepe le Pew (except for in Carrotblanca, of course), no minor characters or one-shots.

Yeah, they just keep repeating the same cartoons over and over again. It's one of the most lazy attempts at re-airing classic cartoons on TV.

If I was working for the channel, I would air many classic Looney Tunes (including the minor characters. one-shots, and the more obscure cartoons) on the channel like what they did before.
speedy fast  
#62 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 8:39:20 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, it seems like for the last few years, whenever I've watched Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network (which hasn't been often), it seems like they've only played cartoons with Bugs, Daffy, Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote, Foghorn Leghorn, and maybe Sylvester and Tweety. On New Years 2016, there was a big Looney Tunes marathon, and those seemed to be the only characters included (well, I think it did show a few solo Sylvester cartoons, and the only Tweety cartoons I recall were Carrotblanca and Superior Duck, cartoons where he's not the star). No Porky without Daffy, no Elmer without Bugs or Daffy, no Speedy or Pepe le Pew (except for in Carrotblanca, of course), no minor characters or one-shots.

Yeah, they just keep repeating the same cartoons over and over again. It's one of the most lazy attempts at re-airing classic cartoons on TV.

Didn't know they basically just showed a small number of cartoons and repeated them all. Might as well just program three-cartoon master tapes for broadcasting them (assuming Cartoon Network wasn't doing that now).
LuckyToon  
#63 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 11:44:19 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

That's what I noticed, and that's why I stopped watching the re-runs on Boomerang. I was really getting tired of the same cartoons it was airing in an endless loop.
speedy fast  
#64 Posted : Saturday, April 1, 2017 2:02:12 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

In the past, it seems like most Looney Tunes shows that aired on network television (ABC, CBS, NBC, The WB, and in syndication) had the shorts grouped together in their own "episodes", while most cable channels didn't really do this, instead selecting shorts to pair together each day (though a handful of Cartoon Network shows did this - The Bob Clampett Show, Toonheads, maybe The Tex Avery Show - but those shows also had special trivia and between-shorts scenes, and I once saw a post at the old Golden Age Cartoons forum that Nickelodeon did this at first but then stopped, as one of the many changes made to Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon in 1992).

With the exception of Toonheads, these shows still had random groupings of characters (though if a character other than Bugs Bunny was in the title, they might make up the majority of the show. I think The Road Runner Show had two Road Runner shorts sandwiching a non-Road Runner Short, and Kids WB's The Daffy Duck Show also always began and closed with a Daffy Duck short). But what if there were more regular Looney Tunes shows that had episodes with set pairings AND usually had them themed, but wasn't documentary/trivia-based like Toonheads?

I'll list a theoretical episode guide for such a Looney Tunes series, including shorts that realistically would have aired on Cartoon Network in the late-1990s and 2000s (since CN eventually did bring back Speedy Gonzales, he'll be included here). I'll also include a "hip clip" between the second and third cartoons (in some cases I'll just list a cartoon to take a clip from without listing an exact clip).

1. Bugs Bunny
*A Wild Hare
*Racketeer Rabbit
*Hip Clip: Hillbilly Hare (square dance sequence)
*Rabbit Rampage

2. Daffy Duck
*Porky's Duck Hunt
*Duck Amuck
*Hip Clip: Aqua Duck (opening scene)
*The Great Piggy Bank Robbery

3. Porky Pig
*Curtain Razor
*Paying the Piper
*Hip Clip: I Haven't Got a Hat (Porky's recital of The Midnight Trail of Paul Revere)
*Patient Porky

4. Sylvester and Tweety
*Tweetie Pie
*Room and Bird
*Hip Clip: Tweety and the Beanstalk
*The Jet Cage

5. Foghorn Leghorn
*Walky Talky Hawky
*A Fractured Leghorn
*Hip Clip: Little Boy Boo (the baseball scene)
*The High and the Flighty

6. Bugs Bunny
*Baseball Bugs
*Tortoise Wins by a Hare
*Hip Clip: The Unmentionables
*Rabbit's Kin

7. Bugs and Daffy
*Show Biz Bugs
*Rabbit Seasoning
*Hip Clip: A Star is Bored (Daffy refuses to let Bugs do the fishing scene)
*Ali Baba Bunny

8. Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote
*Hopalong Casualty
*Beep Prepared
*Hip Clip: War and Pieces (Wile E.has Road Runner think a loaded gun has images of girls)
*Ready, Set, Zoom!

9. Chuck Jones One-Shots
*One Froggy Evening
*Go Fly a Kit
*Hip Clip: Chow Hound
*The Night Watchman

10. Bugs and Elmer
*Rabbit Fire
*Bugs Bonnets
*Hip Clip: What's Up, Doc? (vaudeville sequence)
*What's Opera, Doc?

11. Pepe le Pew
*Scent-Imental Over You
*Lovure, Come Back to Me
*Hip Clip: Scent of the Matterhorn
*Really Scent

12. Daffy and Porky
*Porky and Daffy
*Boobs in the Woods
*Hip Clip: The Impatient Patient
*Drip-Along Daffy

13. Tasmanian Devil
*Devil May Hare
*Ducking the Devil
*Hip Clip: Bill of Hare
*The Fright Before Christmas

14. Daffy Duck
*The Scarlett Pumpernickle
*Daffy Duck in Hollywood
*Hip Clip: Rabbit Fire (Daffy dresses as a rabbit, Bugs dresses as a duck)
*Don't Ax Me

15. Elmer Fudd
*The Wabbit Who Came to Supper
*The Rabbit of Seville
*Hip Clip: Quack Shot
*A Corny Concerto

16. Tweety
*A Tail of Two Kitties
*Birdy and the Beast
*Hip Clip: Hyde and Go Tweet
*Gruesome Twosome

19. Bob Clampett
*Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid
*Baby Bottlenect
*Hip Clip: Porky in Wackyland
*Horton Hatches the Egg

20. Speedy Gonzales
*Speedy Gonzales
*Gonzales Tamales
*Hip Clip: Tortillia Flaps
*Snow Excuse

21. Yosemite Sam
*Hare Trigger
*Along Came Daffy
*Hip Clip: The Fair-Haired Hare (juice scene)
*Honey's Money

22. Marvin the Martian
*Duck Dodgers and the 24 1/2 th Century
*The Hasty Hare
*Hip Clip: Mad as a Mars Hare
*Spaced-Out Bunny

23. Sylvester
*Pop 'Im Pop
*Here Today Gone Tamale
*Hip Clip: Canned Feud
*Birds Anonymous

24. All-Stars
*This is a Life?
*The Wild Chase
*Hip Clip: The Scarlett Pumpernickle
*Dog Pounded

25. Friz Freling
*I Haven't Got a Hat
*Bugs and Thugs
*Hip Clip: Speedy Gonzales (Speedy disguises himself as a baseball)
*Hyde and Go Tweet

26. Fairy Tales
*Beanstalk Bunny
*The Pied Piper of Guadelupe
*Hip Clip: Little Red Walking Hood
*The Bear's Tale

27. Tex Avery
*Daffy Duck and Egghead
*The Heckling Hare
*Hip Clip: Porky's Duck Hunt
*I Love To Singa

28. Robert McKimson
*The Honeymousers
*Claws in the Lease
*Hip Clip: Bedeviled Rabbit
*The Leghorn Blows at Midnight

29. Ralph Wolf and Sham Sheepdog
*Don't Give Up the Sheep
*Ready, Woolen, and Able
*Hip Clip: A Sheep in the Deep (lunch break scene)
*Woolen Under Where?

30. Daffy and Elmer
*To Duck or Not to Duck
*Design for Leaving
*Hip Clip: Duck Rabbit Duck
*Quack Shot

And I could go on and on, but I think this is a good sample.
speedy fast  
#65 Posted : Saturday, April 1, 2017 10:32:10 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

After I made my previous post,I thought some more of my idea of a Looney Tunes show where the shorts are grouped by theme, and thought of a slightly different idea: What if there was weekday afternoon Looney Tunes show like that, but with a certain weekly structure?

As in, Mondays would be themed around Bugs Bunny, Tuesdays Daffy Duck, Wednesdays would alternate between Sylvester and Tweety (or just Sylvester, or the three solo Tweety cartoons) and Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote (or the Coyote and Bugs Bunny pairings), Thursdays would focus on one of the other characters (usually one with a large filmography, occasionally one with a significantly small filmography), and Fridays could be a "wild card", either always being a random assortment of toons, or maybe sometimes be a random assortment, sometimes themed around the work of a director, and sometimes themed around a topic (like science fiction, horror, show business, musical cartoons, mice, and so on).

A sample I have in mind of the first three weeks:
Week 1: Bugs Bunny Monday: A Wild Hare/Baseball Bugs/What's Cookin', Doc? Daffy Duck Tuesday: Duck Amuck/ Boobs in the Woods/ The Abominable Snow Rabbit. Sylvester and Tweety Wednesday: Tweetie Pie/Tree Cornered Tweety/Tweet and Sour. Pepe le Pew Thursday: Scent-Imental Romeo/Really Scent/Touche and Go. Random Friday: A Corny Concerto/Much Ado About Nuttin'/Mother Was a Rooster.
Week 2:Bugs Bunny Monday: What's Up, Doc?/This is a Life?/Person to Bunny. Daffy Duck Tuesday: Daffy Duck Hunt/What Makes Daffy Duck?/The Wise-Quacking Duck. Road Runner Wednesday: Fast and Furry-Ous/Beep Prepared/Road Runner A'Go-Go. Tasmanian Devil Thursday: Devil May Hare/Ducking the Devil/The Fright Before Christmas. Random Friday: Carrotblanca/Feed the Kitty/I Haven't Got a Hat.
Week 3:Bugs Bunny Monday: High-Diving Hare/Bewitched Bunny/Wet Hare. Daffy Duck Tuesday: Porky's Duck Hunt/The Impatient Patient/The Daffy Doc. Sylvester Wednesday (actually, I think I'd want to get through another Sylvester and Tweety Wednesday and another Road Runner Wednesday before giving Sylvester a solo Wednesday, but this is just for examples: Life with Feathers/Who's Kitten Who/Jumpin' Jupiter. Porky Pig Thursday: Porky in Wackyland/Robin Hood Daffy/One Meat Brawl. Random Friday: Tweet and Lovely/I Love to Singa/Tobasco Road.

And for the last Wednesday for the season, a special Road Runner and Coyote/Sylvester and Tweety Wednesday, featuring Stop, Look, and Hasten, The Wild Chase, and Tweet Tweet Tweety (well, The Wild Chase in the middle is the most important thing, as it has three of the four characters for that week, any Road Runner short before it and any Sylvester and Tweety short after will do).

Tonight I also wondered: What if there was a Looney Tunes show that grouped all shorts (that the network was willing to air) in chronological order? Maybe the black and white ones (especially the obscure ones) could be included in a special late night slot (like Late Night Black and White) while all of the color cartoons (and perhaps computer colorized cartoons) could be featured in a daytime hours slot (though there'd stillbe many shows with boring cartoons without any known characters).

Reminds me of a while back, thinking about how when the first Golden Collection came out, some fans were wishing it'd be a chronological set instead, and George Feldenstein (or whatever the name is) said that doing it the chronolocial way wouldn't be good because it'd take a few box sets before they got to the Looney Tunes that fans know. But a while back, I wonder what it'd be like if they did that, but not straight from the beginning. Like start with A Wild Hare and go chronologically up, and present cartoons from 1929 and up chronologically as bonus features.
Cool_Cat  
#66 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:48:37 PM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Groups: Registered
Italy

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I caught this one this morning (English audio on track 2). Not an April fool prank.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
LuckyToon  
#67 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 12:45:27 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Cool looking print of this cartoon, but I'm very disappointed that WB didn't remaster this for Blu Ray and DVD releases. It's been a favorite of mine since I was a kid.
vdubdavid  
#68 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 12:10:27 PM(UTC)
vdubdavid

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Speaking of Chuck Jones, this is a thought that's been knocking around my head for a while. We all know Jones did several short series with characters like Charlie Dog, Hubie and Bertie, and the Three Bears. Most of these characters lasted up until the very early 1950s, with one exception.

Sniffles

After several appearances over seven or so years, Sniffles' last appearance was in a short released in 1946, that (allowing for the release backlog at this time) was probably finished in 1945. Even Inki and the Minah Bird lasted longer, with a final short released in 1950.

I've sometimes wondered what a Sniffles short circa 1949-51 would have looked like, with the refined animation and storytelling that the Jones unit was known for at that time. It's even more intriguing when one considers the large role Sniffles played in the offscreen merchandise and the comics of the era. What if Jones had tried to adapt the character of Mary Jane to the screen?

Anyway, just a random historical pondering.
Looney Turtles  
#69 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 4:20:28 PM(UTC)
Looney Turtles

United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post

If I was working for the channel, I would air many classic Looney Tunes (including the minor characters. one-shots, and the more obscure cartoons) on the channel like what they did before.

I don't get why they do that, especially now that Looney Tunes is airing 6 hours a day. They've already proved that they are capable of airing other shorts before, so it makes you wonder why they don't add those and more to the regular rotation.

Feel free to check out my new Looney Tunes board here: http://s15.zetaboards.co...ooney_Tunes_Board/index/
Looney Turtles  
#70 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 4:33:33 PM(UTC)
Looney Turtles

United States

Speaking of which, I just found out that "Holiday for Drumsticks is going to air on the 13th, according to this: http://schedule.adultswi...4/13/17&timeZone=EST

I don't see it being added to regular rotation, but maybe we'll see.
Feel free to check out my new Looney Tunes board here: http://s15.zetaboards.co...ooney_Tunes_Board/index/
speedy fast  
#71 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 8:20:39 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

In thinking about it, some time back, the Golden Age Cartoons Facebook page reported that Boomerang was showing more variety for a short while, airing WB shorts from almost all eras (I think the early 1930s was the only exception),
thanks 1 user thanked speedy fast for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 4/11/2017(UTC)
Looney Turtles  
#72 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:13:11 AM(UTC)
Looney Turtles

United States

In thinking about it, some time back, the Golden Age Cartoons Facebook page reported that Boomerang was showing more variety for a short while, airing WB shorts from almost all eras (I think the early 1930s was the only exception),

Yeah, they briefly did that in May and then August last year. But other than that, it's always been the same shorts over and over again, with the rare exception (which seems to be the case for "Holiday for Drumsticks" that's going to air on the 13th).

This shows that they are clearly able to air more shorts, but they usually choose not to.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:14:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Toonatic  
#73 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 1:06:56 PM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Was thanked: 138 time(s) in 101 post(s)
Here's my random thought:

Remind me again; in a age where remastered DVD/Blu-ray prints are being used 90% of the time for television, why is Cartoon Network/Boomerang still using off the shelf prints for Looney Tunes? I mean it's ridiculous. Cartoon Network, Turner, and Warner Bros are one entity, it shouldn't be that hard.

And another thing, with a lot of shorts airing on TV that have yet to be on DVD (like Upswept Hare, Tease for Two, and Wild About Hurry), you think Warner would restore those and release them on DVD as a best of compilation. At least that way kids who constantly watch these shorts on TV, can watch them anytime they want (and in perfect picture quality).
LuckyToon  
#74 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:42:42 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post

Remind me again; in a age where remastered DVD/Blu-ray prints are being used 90% of the time for television, why is Cartoon Network/Boomerang still using off the shelf prints for Looney Tunes? I mean it's ridiculous. Cartoon Network, Turner, and Warner Bros are one entity, it shouldn't be that hard.

It's because of laziness. Sure they are airing some on TV today, but not as much as the off the shelf prints.

"Seriously Turner and WB, air the remastered versions of the cartoons (that were already remastered for home video) already."
Cool_Cat  
#75 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:55:39 PM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Italy

And another thing, with a lot of shorts airing on TV that have yet to be on DVD (like Upswept Hare, Tease for Two, and Wild About Hurry), you think Warner would restore those and release them on DVD as a best of compilation. At least that way kids who constantly watch these shorts on TV, can watch them anytime they want (and in perfect picture quality).

I wouldn't say 90% of the time. In Europe except for the public Swiss broadcaster most of the networks still use the off shelf prints. I honestly don't mind about it when the remastered ones are on DVD anyway. Then some of the later remasters weren't great IMO, and I'd rather watch the older print (like on many Hippety Hopper shorts).
bodek610  
#76 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:50:21 AM(UTC)
bodek610

Poland

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat Go to Quoted Post

I wouldn't say 90% of the time. In Europe except for the public Swiss broadcaster most of the networks still use the off shelf prints. I honestly don't mind about it when the remastered ones are on DVD anyway. Then some of the later remasters weren't great IMO, and I'd rather watch the older print (like on many Hippety Hopper shorts).

Not only RSI La 1 HD. TV Puls 2 (Poland) from 2012 and July 2014 aired Looney Tunes remastered. Interesting fact is also that 3 weeks before the Platinum Collection Blu-Ray release "Bugs and Thugs" were premiered with their remastered print from Platinum Collection Volume 3 not from Golden Collection 1.
Cool_Cat  
#77 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2017 8:30:24 PM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Italy

I caught this one this morning on TV (English audio on track 2).

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
speedy fast  
#78 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:44:59 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

I've recently noticed that two of the three Looney Tunes specials to consist of brand-new shorts - Bugs Bunny's Looney Christmas Tales and Bugs Bunny's Busting Out All Over - don't feature Daffy Duck at all. I feel he should have at least been in Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol, perhaps with the other characters who get to be carolers. As the second most important Looney Tunes character, he should have appeared in the Christmas special.

But then again, Bugs Bunny doesn't appear at all in Daffy Duck's Easter Egg-Citement, and Daffy appears in all three shorts in that (while the two Bugs Bunny specials have a Road Runner cartoon each). Perhaps they did that to make up for the lack of Daffy in those specials (as well as giving Daffy another special with Daffy Duck's Thanks-for-Giving Special, which also did not feature Bugs Bunny in any way).

Seems like the two Bugs Bunny specials have sort of a structure. They both have one cartoon with Bugs and one of his long-running foes (Yosemite Sam, Elmer Fudd), though Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol also feels more like a big all-stars crossover short as well, and they both have one cartoon pairing Bugs with one of his more popular foes who didn't appear in many classic shorts (Tasmanian Devil, Marvin the Martian), AND both specials include a new Road Runner cartoon. Though one special has the Road Runner cartoon in the middle while the other closes with it (I feel Soup or Sonic should have been in the middle of Bugs Bunny's Bustin' Out All Over instead of the end - and the ending of the first short, with a baby Coyote chasing a baby Road Runner, would have made for a great segue into the Road Runner short). And to compare things further, both specials contain one Bugs Bunny short (not counting Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol) to contain a cameo by a classic character (Speedy Gonzales in The Fright Before Christmas, and Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote in Portrait of the Artist as a Young Bunny - and in addition to the baby versions, that short also has a cameo by the regular adult version of Wile E. Coyote).

And to take things a step further, both made-for-TV Marvin the Martian shorts from 1980 also feature a large monster character who wasn't in many classic shorts (with Gossammer in the Duck Dodgers sequel and The Abominable Snow Man in Spaced-Out Bunny), and in both shorts the monster characters are given their names (with Gossammer becoming the monster's official name, while the Abominable Snow Man would never be called Hugo again, but then again, he didn't go on to appear in merchandise or later Looney Tunes productions like Gossammer would), and ironically, Marvin the Martian was not referred to by name in either of those shorts (and he was named by 1979, his name appears on his portrait in The Bugs Bunny-Road Runner Movie).

And with Bugs Bunny's Bustin' Out All Over, are the wrap-arounds really necessary? They could have just shown the three shorts without Bugs' introductions (especially since the cartoons don't have title cards). The Bugs Bunny segments all seem to have the same setting anyways. The wrap-arounds in the other two specials feel more necessary.

And it's interesting how Bugs Bunny's Bustin' Out All Over is meant to be a spring special, when one of the shorts takes place on the last day of school before Summer vacation (which, depending on what part of the world it is, could be either the end of Spring or the start of Summer).
speedy fast  
#79 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 3:13:33 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

Today, a thought came through my head. The answer is probably no, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, back when the Looney Tunes shorts were airing on TNT, TBS, and Cartoon Network, were there any scenes that were cut on one of those channels that were left uncut on the other channels?
LuckyToon  
#80 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 4:03:41 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Today, a thought came through my head. The answer is probably no, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, back when the Looney Tunes shorts were airing on TNT, TBS, and Cartoon Network, were there any scenes that were cut on one of those channels that were left uncut on the other channels?

I think there were since I did read up about that. For example, TBS airings of "Buckaroo Bugs" deleted the sequence where Red Hot Ryder is half naked with a fig leaf covering his bottom. But was left intact on CN and Boomerang airings.