Rod Scribner at Disney? - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ToonStar95  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 24, 2017 7:34:13 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 72 post(s)
I found out from WB artist Michael J. Ruocco's Twitter account that Rod Scribner, who was then working for Bob Clampett's unit at Schlesinger's, animated a Donald Duck scene for the WWII propaganda film The New Spirit.

Here is his post about it; he says Rod's scene is where Donald is crawling on his knees while begging about what he can do to help his country ("I'll do anything! ANYTHING!"). The animation has a rubbery feel to it, yet has a feeling of weight and volume.

If this is true, then I guess it might have been a freelance or moonlighting job; I know The New Spirit had to be churned out fast, and much of Disney's artists were either working on training films, making insignia or were drafted, so I guess they had to scrounge for outside talent to get some of their stuff out.

Edited by user Friday, March 24, 2017 7:38:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nickramer  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 25, 2017 9:56:45 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 178 time(s) in 147 post(s)
Well, that something interesting. I wonder if any other non-Disney animators moonlighted on this short.
Toadette  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 25, 2017 10:47:54 PM(UTC)
Toadette

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 187 post(s)
A friend brought this thread to my attention...simply put, I wouldn't count on this assumption to be true, since Mr. Ruocco has yet to present any documentation to support it.

The unreliable IMDB claims Don Patterson worked on this short, and knowing his other work it could have been his. Or it could have been Berny Wolf, as Devon Baxter was thinking (see the replies to Mike's post). Or it could have been someone within Disney who didn't usually work on the Donalds, like Ward Kimball. But ultimately, everything about this is speculation at best.

I understand if I sound a bit rude, but given that even the most trusted animator identifiers (Thad and Mark Kausler, to name two) have gotten things wrong, and especially now that drafts have been subverting previous assumptions (for instance, scenes in "Crowing Pains" and "Easter Yeggs" that were thought to be Manny Gould's turned out to be Fred Abranz and Anatole Kirsanoff, respectively), I think that for an especially unusual ID like this one, it'd be best to remain skeptical until solid proof shows up.
thanks 2 users thanked Toadette for this useful post.
Zachary on 3/26/2017(UTC), Jonathan Wilson on 1/7/2018(UTC)
ToonStar95  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 2:41:14 PM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Man
United States

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 72 post(s)
I asked this question to ICBF (who made those classic animator reels) on Twitter, and he said the alleged "Scribner" scene was actually animated by Bob Carlson.