Personal Stories Involving Popeye the Sailor - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mario500  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 11:04:06 PM(UTC)
Mario500

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
My earliest memories of anything related to Popeye involve watching the cartoons about him produced by Famous Studios through "The Bozo Show" from WGN-TV and the ones produced by Hanna-Barbera through the Family Channel (the one that later became the FOX Family Channel, the ABC Family Channel, and Freeform).

My earliest memories of the ones produced by Fleischer Studios involve watching the ones named "Popeye the Sailor Meets Sinbad the Sailor" and "Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves" through videocassettes purchased by relatives of mine.

I had recorded many of the ones broadcast by the Family Channel on videotape and watched them often with the ones had mentioned in the previous paragraph (I still have most of my recordings of the ones broadcast by the Family Channel along with the cassette with the other ones).

Edited by user Friday, February 17, 2017 11:07:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

craigoman8  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 9:39:51 AM(UTC)
craigoman8

Popeye the Sailor was always one of my three favorite characters, in all media along with Mickey Mouse and Superman over all others. It seems exposure to 1950's television cemented that liking and early reading their comics also.

At a very young age, I used to like to doodle cartoons. When I was in second grade (1958), some magazine had an ad that was advertising something I do not remember. It used that familiar Famous Studios white-suited Popeye pose where he is making a muscle. I practiced drawing that image over and over again until I had it down just almost as good as the original. Being shy at the time, I still drew Popeye for a classmate. Wow, talk about opening up the floodgates. Everyone wanted a picture of Popeye. He was a very popular character at that time. So I started to modify drawings to make each picture different (eating Spinach, running, swinging his fist, etc.)

I developed my own style and branched out drawing other characters through grade school and even into high school and beyond, but never anything professionally. My kids and my grandkids most certainly know who Popeye is through my efforts reading comics and showing cartoons, even though currently he has taken a back seat in popularity. When I still doodle Popeye for the grandkids even today, I will favor the white sailor-suit over the black shirt, even though I will draw both. As far as animated cartoons go, he's worn a sailor hat more than the nautical cap, even though in the comics, I think the cap wins out. -Craig
Hoy Paloy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 4:00:53 AM(UTC)
Hoy Paloy

I love Popeye and think he is maybe the funniest classic age cartoon character.
I have a question. Do studios cut scenes from the original cartoon for dvd? I remember a scene from Popeye from the Sinbad the sailor episode where Popeye is taking a nap with a blanket over his head and a mother seagull makes her nest on his blanketed head. Then Wimpy comes and tries to make a meal of the seagull by stripping off her tail feathers and salting her bottom with spices but then the seagull realizes just in time and she flies away screaming and squawking but Wimpy just keeps salting the air where she used to be. But then Wimpy realizes and starts to cry.

Even though I clearly remember seeing this scene long ago when I first saw Popeye it is not in the dvd and I can't find it on youtube either. The studio cut it I guess. Where do I find the full cartoon?
PopKorn Kat  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 4:52:23 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman

Was thanked: 227 time(s) in 174 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hoy Paloy Go to Quoted Post
I love Popeye and think he is maybe the funniest classic age cartoon character.
I have a question. Do studios cut scenes from the original cartoon for dvd? I remember a scene from Popeye from the Sinbad the sailor episode where Popeye is taking a nap with a blanket over his head and a mother seagull makes her nest on his blanketed head. Then Wimpy comes and tries to make a meal of the seagull by stripping off her tail feathers and salting her bottom with spices but then the seagull realizes just in time and she flies away screaming and squawking but Wimpy just keeps salting the air where she used to be. But then Wimpy realizes and starts to cry.

Even though I clearly remember seeing this scene long ago when I first saw Popeye it is not in the dvd and I can't find it on youtube either. The studio cut it I guess. Where do I find the full cartoon?

The WB Popeye DVDs don't cut scenes. There are some issues with original titles, but no scenes were cut to my knowledge.
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 5:27:49 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 70 post(s)
no such scene in Popeye the sailor meets Sinbad the sailor

are you thinking of a scene from Walt Disney's Peter Pan
what you described is similar

thanks 1 user thanked VoiceTalentBrendan for this useful post.
Hoy Paloy on 3/2/2017(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:39:29 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 70 post(s)
my personal story with Popeye was at an early age. my Grandma Ann Cleo has a vhs of the live action movie that Paramount, Disney and Robert Altman worked on called "Popeye" with Robin Williams.

Cartoon Network (back when they used to show both old and new cartoons) had program called The Popeye Show. When they showed Popeye the Sailor Meets SInbad the Sailor (1936) I noticed something looked familiar. It made me think of the Max Fleischer cartoon Somewhere In Dreamland. because of the 3d set they used. and it was indeed made by the Fleischer Studio.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:41:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Hoy Paloy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:26:24 AM(UTC)
Hoy Paloy

You are right, that is the scene. I would have bet a lot it was from Popeye. Never expected that sort of humor in a Disney. Thanks