Amazon shipping problem for Ray Pointer's Max Fleischer book - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ParamountCartoons  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 5:47:00 AM(UTC)
ParamountCartoons

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/18/2014(UTC)
Posts: 290
United States

Thanks: 9 times
Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I was really interested in getting Ray Pointer's biography on Max Fleischer (you probably know why). I tried calling customer service (I got the free 5-8 day shipping) a couple days after buying the book, and it's the lousy outsourced people who don't have a clue what goes on in shipping here in the States. They, of course, didn't solve my problem........Scrooge McDuck Wolfy Yosemite Sam

Any help? is free shipment that slow? This ain't Thunderbean y'know......


VoiceTalentBrendan  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 6:46:56 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 12/5/2014(UTC)
Posts: 269
Man
United States

Thanks: 342 times
Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 70 post(s)
Same problem with The Enchanted World of Rankin/Bass A Portfolio 20th anniversary book on amazon. although the Rankin/Bass book is available on miserbros.com
As for the Max Fleischer book, I checked Barnes and Noble it will be available on their website in January 29th .
http://www.barnesandnobl...282926?ean=9781476663678

I don't really know what is going on at amazon.

Edited by user Friday, January 13, 2017 6:57:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OrrinScott  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 3:39:17 PM(UTC)
OrrinScott

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/7/2016(UTC)
Posts: 3
United States
Location: Indiana

Thanks: 1 times
The reason for the delay can probably be attributed to Amazon's book policy for small independent publishers. More than likely, to be listed on Amazon, McFarland (Publisher of Mr. Pointer's biography) had to allocate a specific number of copies. Amazon probably has a set number going in and with the community growing with each new book on the subject, I'm willing to bet orders this time around exceeding Amazon's projections. This is actually great news to hear your book is taking a minute (Assuming it isn't due to unnecessary shipping around the country, which is running rampant in the industry).

Though, I am curious as to why Jerry didn't just link peeps to McFarland's online website. The book is still available and on sale (In a 'Buy 2 get 30% off' way).

Source: Did work in the used book industry that had a significant stake in having success on Amazon

Edited by user Friday, January 13, 2017 3:40:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Removed redundancy

ParamountCartoons  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 8:58:56 PM(UTC)
ParamountCartoons

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/18/2014(UTC)
Posts: 290
United States

Thanks: 9 times
Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OrrinScott Go to Quoted Post
The reason for the delay can probably be attributed to Amazon's book policy for small independent publishers. More than likely, to be listed on Amazon, McFarland (Publisher of Mr. Pointer's biography) had to allocate a specific number of copies. Amazon probably has a set number going in and with the community growing with each new book on the subject, I'm willing to bet orders this time around exceeding Amazon's projections. This is actually great news to hear your book is taking a minute (Assuming it isn't due to unnecessary shipping around the country, which is running rampant in the industry).

Though, I am curious as to why Jerry didn't just link peeps to McFarland's online website. The book is still available and on sale (In a 'Buy 2 get 30% off' way).

Source: Did work in the used book industry that had a significant stake in having success on Amazon



But here's the thing.....it's not being sold and shipped by the publisher, it's being sold by Amazon themselves.........
Bobby Bickert  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 9:05:33 AM(UTC)
Bobby Bickert

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/23/2015(UTC)
Posts: 61
United States
Location: Tampa Bay area

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: VoiceTalentBrendan Go to Quoted Post
As for the Max Fleischer book, I checked Barnes and Noble it will be available on their website in January 29th .
http://www.barnesandnobl...82926?ean=9781476663678.


And Barnes & Noble has coupon codes (usually 20% off one item, occasionally more) at least twice a month. They usually start on Thursday and are valid through Sunday, but if Monday is a holiday (like this weekend) the code is valid through Monday.

Ray Pointer  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2017 1:42:16 AM(UTC)
Ray Pointer

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/17/2016(UTC)
Posts: 4
United States
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Since it is a print-on-demand, you might want to create demand by going directly to McFarland. The book just came out last week. I've only had my copies for a week. http://www.mcfarlandbooks.com/category/news/
Click on the blue highlight and you will be taken to the order page. Thanks for your interest.
thanks 3 users thanked Ray Pointer for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 1/20/2017(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 1/20/2017(UTC), ParamountCartoons on 1/22/2017(UTC)
ParamountCartoons  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2017 2:58:38 AM(UTC)
ParamountCartoons

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/18/2014(UTC)
Posts: 290
United States

Thanks: 9 times
Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ray Pointer Go to Quoted Post
Since it is a print-on-demand, you might want to create demand by going directly to McFarland. The book just came out last week. I've only had my copies for a week. http://www.mcfarlandbooks.com/category/news/
Click on the blue highlight and you will be taken to the order page. Thanks for your interest.


Thank you, I just ordered it there and will be waiting..... Betty Boop Popeye


PS I cancelled my Amazon order.....
thanks 1 user thanked ParamountCartoons for this useful post.
Ray Pointer on 1/26/2017(UTC)
Ray Pointer  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:47:28 PM(UTC)
Ray Pointer

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/17/2016(UTC)
Posts: 4
United States
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Amazon re-stocked this week and reports only six in stock with more coming. You can still order from Amazon or go directly to McFarland. Kendall College of Art and Design ordered 20 copies for my book signing on January 19th and got them in a week by going directly to McFarland.
http://www.mcfarlandbook...php?id=978-1-4766-6367-8
thanks 2 users thanked Ray Pointer for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 2/9/2017(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 2/9/2017(UTC)
ParamountCartoons  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2017 3:46:15 AM(UTC)
ParamountCartoons

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/18/2014(UTC)
Posts: 290
United States

Thanks: 9 times
Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ray Pointer Go to Quoted Post
Amazon re-stocked this week and reports only six in stock with more coming. You can still order from Amazon or go directly to McFarland. Kendall College of Art and Design ordered 20 copies for my book signing on January 19th and got them in a week by going directly to McFarland.
http://www.mcfarlandbook...php?id=978-1-4766-6367-8


Actually, I got your book.....nice job. Though I noticed some spelling errors, but overall great book. We know now in big detail why Fleischer became Famous, but some of"what ifs" have been out of our control.

I'd wish you'd cover more in depth about the Bouncing Ball invention (even though the Famous chapter explains the more well-known method), like how it came to be. After all, the title says The Art and INVENTIONS of Max Fleischer..........





Ray Pointer  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 1:17:36 AM(UTC)
Ray Pointer

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/17/2016(UTC)
Posts: 4
United States
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The story of how the Bouncing Ball "came to be" was told. I cover the contradictory stories of its origin as well as its applications, first as an awkward animated Beach Ball to the live action ball manipulated by Lou Fleischer. There is a picture showing how this was filmed. I'm not clear as to what more could be told since it was indeed covered including the details of the few made with the sound-on-film process. However, this may be food for thought since others seem to raise questions about things that most people do not.

I am aware of 60 typos in spite of having hired a Proofreader. A good number of the errors were NOT in the Proofs I saw in late November. Some "misspellings" appear to be the result of the intrusion of "Spell Check" auto-correct processes in spite of it all. So much for the merits of "artificial intelligence!" Jerry Beck assures me that this is par for the course and it's something of an "initiation" to the animation book publishing club. (Wanna be a member, wanna be a member?") The publishing industry is not what it used to be since not as many people buy books any more. This was essentially the challenge in finding a publisher willing to take a chance.

Chronicle Books originally requested the book three years ago. After waiting nearly a year, they passed, and another year was spent shopping it around. Finally, McFarland was interested, and I signed the contract in May 2015. Now that the errors have been noted, McFarland seems open to making the corrections in a second edition. But the main thing is that at long last it has happened. The mountain has been moved! Betty Boop

Edited by user Friday, April 28, 2017 2:15:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Ray Pointer for this useful post.
eutychus on 2/10/2017(UTC), OrrinScott on 2/26/2017(UTC)
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error