Cut from the compilation films and specials - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
speedy fast  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2017 11:05:48 PM(UTC)
speedy fast

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I'd like to do a thread listing all cuts made to the Looney Tunes shorts in the various compilation movies and specials.Of course I can't be much help with the specials, as I've only seen a few of them. And in fact, many of the compilation specials primarily just feature clips from shorts, with only a few presenting the shorts as complete (even if there are edits made for time or content or whatever).

I've recently read part of Leonard Maltin's book Of Mice and Magic, which says that the compilation films couldn't include the full shorts so that there wouldn't be issues when the movies aired on television while other networks had the rights to certain shorts. I wonder if that's really true about the films, as many shorts seem to be complete enough (and the shorts were often edited on TV, even having their opening sequences replaced with generic show-specific title cards and leaving out the "that's all, folks!"). I wonder if maybe that was the case for the specials and not movies and if Maltin just made a mistake, but I don't really know for sure. In fact, around the time I read that part of the book, I was wondering if maybe the shorts had to have some big edit because of this, or if the specials could only have shorts that the network airing the specials had the broadcast rights to.

For the movies and specials, the shorts are never shown with the classic WB opening sequence or "that's all, folks!" end card, the title cards/opening sequences are usually cut (and in rare cases where the title sequences are shown, the credits are usually still cut), and for the most part the iris-outs are cut. Bugs Bunny Superstar is the only compilation film to truly include the shorts uncut like this (though many of the cartoons featured are the Blue Ribbon versions), though that might not really count.

Anyway, here's some of the cuts:

Bugs Bunny's Easter Funnies
Hillbilly Hare - this is pretty much the only one presented as just a clip, of the square dance sequence.
Birds Anonymouse - the opening scene
Tweety's Circus - Sylvester's opening number
The Rabbit of Seville - the sequence with Bugs in drag
Robin Hood Daffy - Daffy deciding to join Porky and be known as Friar Duck
I can't really remember what was cut from the other shorts.

Bugs Bunny's Mothers Day Special
I haven't actually seen this special, but I've read that the scenes with Nature Boy are cut from Bushy Hare.

The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie
For the most part, the shorts are uncut (with the exception of WB opening, title sequences, and closings). Robin Hood Daffy, Duck Amuck, and What's Opera, Doc? are all presented with their title cards (but without the credits). Not counting anything that's just presented as a clip (Rabbit Seasoning during the introduction and all the Road Runner clips in the montage at the end), the following cuts were made:
Robin Hood Daffy - I can't remember what was cut but I know there was a small scene cut
Long-Haired Hare - after Bugs declares war on Giovanni Jones, the cartoon goes straight to the finale.
Operation: Rabbit - Most of Wile E.'s plans are cut, cutting from his first plan to his last.

The Looney Looney Looney Bugs Bunny Movie
I think Knighty Knight Bugs is presented as uncut (as it's presented as a short shown before the feature film), complete with WB opening and opening credits sequence, but I feel like the closing is cut.
Hare Trimmed - the ending with Bugs and Yosemite Sam at the wedding.
Roman Legion Hare - the opening scenes where Sam learns that he needs to find somebody to feed the lions or else he will be fed to them (an edit that makes sense since he's sent to Earth to find a replacement and focuses on sending Bugs Bunny as his replacement).
Sahara Hare - Daffy's cameo at the end.
The Unmentionables - not sure if this counts, but the ending is shown later, after two more shorts and original footage are shown.
Golden Yeggs - Daffy laying a golden egg after being shot in the head.
Birds Anonymous, Three Little Bops, and High-Diving Hare are all kind of presented uncut, as they are presented as being screened by the characters. However, throughout the shorts, there are cuts to scenes in the audience while the shorts are playing.
Show Biz Bugs - Daffy arriving at the theater (since he's already there), and the ending is replaced (though it's more-or-less the same kind of ending).

Bugs Bunny's Third Movie: 1001 Rabbit Tales
Cracked Quack - one line of dialogue is replaced.
Apes of Wrath - another line of dialogue is replaced, and Daffy's cameo at the end is cut.
Wise Quackers - with this thread I am mostly avoiding cartoons that are pretty much presented as clips, but I'd like to point out that here, we only get the opening scene followed directly by part of the ending.
Ali Baba Bunny - the ending scenes are shown much later in the film, after the plot has really set in, but when they are shown, the parts with Bugs Bunny are cut, including the whole ending scene where we learn Daffy has been shrunk.
Bewitched Bunny - the opening scene with Bugs Bunny reading the story of Hansel and Gretel (as Bugs is already reading the story), so to those whose first exposure to this cartoon is this movie (this movie was my first exposure to it), Bugs showing up in disguise is an unexpected surprise. The movie also ends the short after Prince Charming wakes up Bugs.
Tweety and the Beanstalk - the ending with the Chinese Tweety.
Goldimouse and the Three Cats - The very end when Sylvester Jr. reacts to Sylvester dumping a bowl of porridge on his head.
The Pied Piper of Guadelupe - pretty much all of the short that does not involve The Pied Piper, with the sequence replaced with Mexican Boarders (I wonder why this was done, especially since that short has nothing to do with the story, either), the ending scene is placed after footage from the other short.
Mexican Boarders - the opening narration and everything after Speedy pours tobasco sauce down Sylvester's mouth.
One Froggy Evening - the ending scene.
I can't remember if anything is cut from Red Riding Hoodwinked or A Sheep in the Deep (which is cut from most modern versions of the movie. Looney Tunes Wiki makes an unsourced claim that it was cut from the original theatrical released but added to television broadcasts).

Daffy Duck's Movie: Fantastic Island
Captain Hareblower - the short is intercut with new scenes showing Daffy and Speedy trying to get the attention of those on the ships to come to the island and scenes establishing that the Tasmanian Devil is a crew member on Sam's ship (which makes it most obvious that Sam sounds different in the new footage than in the original short). The ending, with Sam showing a match in Bugs Bunny's powder room, is cut.
Curtain Razor - All scenes with the fox who keeps coming in to audition only for Porky to tell him to wait his turn. Additionally, the opening credits sequence is replaced with a new animated sequence panning up the stairs and to Porky Pig's office (as the opening song played over the credits and continued into the short).
While this one seems to present most of the shorts uncut, the shorts all end just before the iris-outs.

Daffy Duck's Quackbusters
Daffy Dilly - pretty much uncut, but the shot of a radio announcing the news is replaced with a shot of a television news report (the audio is still the same).
The Prize Pest - The beginning establishing that Daffy is a prize, and all scenes between him "revealing" his split personality and Porky learning it was all a trick.
Claws for Alarm - Porky's dialogue at the beginning is replaced with new dialogue.
Transylvania 6-5000 - the ending with Bugs' ears turning into bat wings, in addition to some dialogue being replaced.
The Abominable Snow Rabbit - I think some of the opening dialogue is replaced.
Punch Trunk - the ending is replaced with Daffy finding out that the tiny elephant is real.

Edited by user Friday, January 13, 2017 1:26:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked speedy fast for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 1/10/2017(UTC)
LuckyToon  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:27:16 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 42 post(s)
I was the one that added the claim on 1001 Rabbit Tales that A Sheep in the Deep was cut from the final release, since I remember seeing a copy of the film with that cartoon in the film. It was from a 1993 VHS copy of this film (which the opening can be seen on YouTube) which had that sequence intact due to their severe edit to the film, and different opening titles. I remember cartoons like Cracked Quack, and Goldimouse and the Three Cats were severely edited.

Edited by user Thursday, January 12, 2017 11:14:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

speedy fast  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:17:32 PM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post
I was the one that added the claim on 1001 Rabbit Tales that A Sheep in the Deep was cut from the final release, since I remember seeing a copy of the film with that cartoon in the film. It was from a 1993 VHS copy of this film (which the opening can be seen on YouTube) which had that sequence intact due to their severe edit to the film, and different opening titles. I remember cartoons like Cracked Quack, and Goldimouse and the Three Cats were severely edited.

Oh, so it was on a VHS release. I recently saw some comments that it was never on a home video release.

But part of what you said was confusing. You say you added the claim that it was cut from the final release because you remember seeing a copy that had the cartoon?

I have recently watched a few versions of the opening, it seems like some releases had it titled Bugs Buny's 1001 Rabbit Tales as opposed to Bugs Bunny's 3rd Movie: 1001 Rabbit Tales. Actually I remembered seeing it that way on Family Channel, and later on Cartoon Network saw the Bugs Bunny's 3rd Movie: 1001 Rabbit Tales, and felt a little confused, but thought maybe I'd misread it until then. I have noticed varrying places that refer to it as either Bugs Bunny's 1001 Rabbit Tales or Bugs Bunny's 3rd Movie: 1001 Rabbit Tales (I wonder which version is included in the Movie Collection).
speedy fast  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 1:23:01 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

I forgot to mention that, in 1001 Rabbit Tales, all of the stories include new voice-over narration by Bugs Bunny. The narration at the beginning of Tweety and the Beanstalk and Goldimouse and the Three Cats is replaced by Bugs' narration.

It's been a long time since I last saw the movie, especially with A Sheep in the Deep, but I was looking at Looney Tunes Wiki which says that short is supposed to represent Little Bo Peep. I thought Bugs referred to it as A Wolf in Sheeps Clothing. It's also interesting, they used a Wolf and Sheepdog short to represent Little Bo Peep, they should have used Double or Mutton, which has a scene with Ralph Wolf dressed as Bo Peep.

It's also interesting how in 1001 Rabbit Tales, most of the shorts had their endings cut (not just the seconds before the iris-out). .
LuckyToon  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 5:39:54 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: speedy fast Go to Quoted Post

Oh, so it was on a VHS release. I recently saw some comments that it was never on a home video release.

But part of what you said was confusing. You say you added the claim that it was cut from the final release because you remember seeing a copy that had the cartoon?

I have recently watched a few versions of the opening, it seems like some releases had it titled Bugs Buny's 1001 Rabbit Tales as opposed to Bugs Bunny's 3rd Movie: 1001 Rabbit Tales. Actually I remembered seeing it that way on Family Channel, and later on Cartoon Network saw the Bugs Bunny's 3rd Movie: 1001 Rabbit Tales, and felt a little confused, but thought maybe I'd misread it until then. I have noticed varrying places that refer to it as either Bugs Bunny's 1001 Rabbit Tales or Bugs Bunny's 3rd Movie: 1001 Rabbit Tales (I wonder which version is included in the Movie Collection).

Well to tell you the truth, the original full title "Bugs Bunny's 3rd Movie: 1001 Rabbit Tales" is the version we see on home video and current TV airings that does not contain A Sheep in the Deep, so I consider that version to be the final cut when it was released in 1982.

The version I first saw "Bugs Bunny's 1001 Rabbit Tales" is the re-edited version WB released on home video in 1993 and was aired on the Disney Channel and Family Channel on TV, this version has the deleted cartoon intact. Not only it used a different opening credits with the retitled film, but as of said before some cartoons (most notably Cracked Quack, and Goldimouse and the Three Cats) were edited, even the opening features of the characters was edited, removing the featuring Granny and Porky sequences. This version was only seen in the 90's.

Edited by user Friday, January 13, 2017 5:54:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

VoiceTalentBrendan  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:34:07 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 70 post(s)
Rare Trailers for some of these films

The Bugs Bunny Roadrunner movie AKA:the great american chase tv spot

The Looney Looney Looney Bugs Bunny Movie

Bugs Bunny's 3rd Movie: 1001 Rabbit Tales

Edited by user Saturday, January 14, 2017 4:38:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mesterius  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 11:10:17 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 30 post(s)

Well to tell you the truth, the original full title "Bugs Bunny's 3rd Movie: 1001 Rabbit Tales" is the version we see on home video and current TV airings that does not contain A Sheep in the Deep, so I consider that version to be the final cut when it was released in 1982.

The version I first saw "Bugs Bunny's 1001 Rabbit Tales" is the re-edited version WB released on home video in 1993 and was aired on the Disney Channel and Family Channel on TV, this version has the deleted cartoon intact. Not only it used a different opening credits with the retitled film, but as of said before some cartoons (most notably Cracked Quack, and Goldimouse and the Three Cats) were edited, even the opening features of the characters was edited, removing the featuring Granny and Porky sequences. This version was only seen in the 90's.

Are you sure about what you're saying here? The uploader of this clip from the 1993 VHS claims that A Sheep in the Deep is NOT on that edition.

Also, let me see if I get what you're saying straight: You say the 1993 VHS "has the deleted cartoon intact", but also that the 1993 VHS is a "re-edited version". So in other words, you mean to say that most of the film on the 1993 VHS is re-edited and changed, but it includes one cartoon (A Sheep in the Deep) which was most likely cut from the theatrical release known today as the official version.

I have to say, you have a pretty confusing way of presenting this information... it took me quite a while just to figure out this (assuming I've figured right).

And also: how do we know that A Sheep in the Deep wasn't just added in the 1993 VHS edition? Was there any unique bridging animation before/after it which obviously has to have been made around that particular cartoon?

Edited by user Saturday, January 14, 2017 11:12:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 2:14:43 AM(UTC)
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
All of the comments are pretty much correct. I first saw these in the early 80s on cable, in the edited versions.. As for "A Sheep in the Deep" (1953, the very first Sam/Ralph short), that was cut out for the 1980s video release,( ADDITION as of 1/16/17:as opposed to later,1993) and whole shorts on pretty much intact on the three Friz-produced/directed features (the one above "Bugs Bunny...10001 rabbit tales" as well as the previous, "Looney..Bugs Movie"..and the final "Daffy Duck's..Island"..I don't think the Jones (1979) or Ford/Lennon (1988) ones have any theatrical/video/cable differences..

Edited by user Monday, January 16, 2017 11:25:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LuckyToon  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 6:06:25 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post

Are you sure about what you're saying here? The uploader of this clip from the 1993 VHS claims that A Sheep in the Deep is NOT on that edition.

Also, let me see if I get what you're saying straight: You say the 1993 VHS "has the deleted cartoon intact", but also that the 1993 VHS is a "re-edited version". So in other words, you mean to say that most of the film on the 1993 VHS is re-edited and changed, but it includes one cartoon (A Sheep in the Deep) which was most likely cut from the theatrical release known today as the official version.

I have to say, you have a pretty confusing way of presenting this information... it took me quite a while just to figure out this (assuming I've figured right).

And also: how do we know that A Sheep in the Deep wasn't just added in the 1993 VHS edition? Was there any unique bridging animation before/after it which obviously has to have been made around that particular cartoon?

I swear I saw A Sheep in the Deep on the 1993 VHS since I remember renting it at the former Hollywood Video when I was a kid. Believe me, I saw it. And I will soon be getting the 1993 VHS once it's delivered (yes I bought it on Ebay recently), and I will someday get a software to record the VHS to my computer to post online to prove it.
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 9:53:34 PM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

Getting off topic and on a simiIar subject I remember Disney Channel before they stopped showing the older stuff, they used to show an alternate version of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
The segment Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too (1974) was replaced by Winnie the Pooh and a Day for Eeyore (1983)
no new bridging animation, just the end of The Blustery Day segment (Pooh with a party hat with piglet exclaiming "and piglet too!" and then the visuals crossdisolve into the replaced short A Day For Eeyore )

If the short Sheep In The Deep is in Bugs Bunny's 1001 Rabbit Tales 1993 version, Does it have bridging animation?

does anyone remember Mattew Hunter talking about this on his site mis-a- looneyess?

Edited by user Sunday, January 15, 2017 10:10:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

VoiceTalentBrendan  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 10:19:41 PM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

rats probably not
speedy fast  
#12 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 1:32:56 PM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

I used to have a copy of 1001 Rabbit Tales taped off Family Channel, I don't think I have it anymore, but I'm pretty sure there was a little bit of linking footage to introduce A Sheep in the Deep (I vaguely remember Bugs referring to the story as "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing", though Looney Tunes WIki says it was to represent Little Bo Peep). I doubt the short just randomly appeared without any proper introduction (none of the other shorts just started and ended).

I wonder why they altered the title from Bugs Bunny's 3rd Movie: 1001 Rabbit Tales to just Bugs Bunny's 1001 Rabbit Tales (and made a few other edits for that version). Could they have thought it was too much to have "3rd Movie" in the title? In the last few days I've thought up a joke theory that somebody at WB decided Bugs Bunny Superstar needed to count, therefore making this Bugs Bunny's fourth movie. But who knows for sure (and who knows why various specials were retitled for later broadcasts and video releases)?

The alterations would have occurred before the 1993 video release (assuming 1993 is the correct year for that release). The first time I heard of this movie was when I saw a promo for it on The Disney Channel in 1991. Interestingly, I remember the promo referring to it by it's full title while it also had a clip from A Sheep in the Deep (the first time I saw any clips of Ralph Wolf; when I saw that clip, I thought it was Wile E. Coyote at first, especially since it was a clip where his nose wasn't shown too well,but shortly after I saw a Ralph Wolf cartoon for the first time).

It's a shame it seems there's not more behind-the-scenes information about the compilation films and movies (well, the Warner Archive release of Bugs Bunny Superstar does have a commentary track...). I wonder if the films had much publicity when they were released (like, did the directors go on talk shows and talk about the films?) Hmm, did Chuck Jones or Mel Blanc talk about them in their autobiographies? Of course even if Friz Freling was interviewed by everyone when 1001 Rabbit Tales was released I doubt he talked about A Sheep in the Deep being included or not (this is probably a topic for a different thread, but did anybody here see any of the compilation films during their original theatrical run?).
speedy fast  
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 3:12:36 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

In thinking about the subject of whether 1001 Rabbit Tales really cut A Sheep in the Deep from its original release or not (how many of us saw it in the theater? anybody have a print of the film?), I thought about how in the compilation films, there are copyright dates for each cartoon included (even if the credits don't say which cartoons come from what year), and thought if A Sheep in the Deep was the only cartoon from the year it came out, check the copyright dates in the credits to see if that year's listed. But then in researching I found that both A Sheep in the Deep and Mexican Boarders are from 1962.
Bobby Bickert  
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 10:31:02 PM(UTC)
Bobby Bickert

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I can remember alterations (not edits) made to the cartoons in some of the compilation specials:

"How Bugs Bunny Won the West"-In the scene in "Wild and Woolly Hare" where Bugs and Sam shoot at a can thrown in the air, the part where Bugs shoots Sam is replaced with new animation of Bugs' gun shooting corks that plug the holes in the can!

"Bugs Bunny's Thanksgiving Diet"-In the scene in "Bedevilled Rabbit" where Bugs is dressed as a waiter, one line is redubbed so Bugs tells Taz he should have "Wild Turkey Surprise" because it's Thanksgiving. (You can hear the difference in Mel Blanc's voice.)

"Bugs Bunny's Valentine Special"-The infamous "Aren't all women witches inside?" at the end of "Bewitched Bunny" is redubbed with a new line referencing Valentine's Day, I think "No one should be alone on Valentine's Day.".

Also, the live action footage in "Rabbit Every Monday" is replaced with then-contemporary live action footage of a disco in one of the compilation specials, but I can't remember which one. "How Bugs Bunny Won the West"?

And I do remember that the ending of "All Abirrd!" was cut off for "The Bugs Bunny Mystery Special". After disguised Sylvester gets into the taxi with the covered bird cage, it cuts to a newspaper with the headline "RARE BIRD STOLEN".

Edited by user Saturday, January 21, 2017 10:32:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LuckyToon  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:21:26 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

I recently got a 1993 slipcover VHS of "Bugs Bunny's 1001 Rabbit Tales" and still it does not contain the deleted sequence containing "A Sheep in the Deep" that was shown on Disney Channel and Family Channel airings. So I was wrong that it was on the official 1990's VHS releases of the film. I must of only seen this version on a bootleg VHS that contains a Disney Channel recording of the film that has the deleted scene.

And the most mind blowing thing is that I rented this recording from Hollywood Video back then. I don't know why someone would want to sell a bootleg recording of the film to a former video store.

I still want to have this version, so if there's anyone who does have a recording of the film aired on Disney Channel or Family Channel airings with the deleted scene intact, send me a PM and I will give you my address.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:29:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nickramer  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 12:46:39 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 178 time(s) in 147 post(s)
I recently got a 1993 slipcover VHS of "Bugs Bunny's 1001 Rabbit Tales" and still it does not contain the deleted sequence containing "A Sheep in the Deep" that was shown on Disney Channel and Family Channel airings. So I was wrong that it was on the official 1990's VHS releases of the film. I must of only seen this version on a bootleg VHS that contains a Disney Channel recording of the film that has the deleted scene.

And the most mind blowing thing is that I rented this recording from Hollywood Video back then. I don't know why someone would want to sell a bootleg recording of the film to a former video store.

I still want to have this version, so if there's anyone who does have a recording of the film aired on Disney Channel or Family Channel airings with the deleted scene intact, send me a PM and I will give you my address.

You sure you didn't rent a 1980's VHS release of the film? That might had the missing scene.

LuckyToon  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:53:34 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post

You sure you didn't rent a 1980's VHS release of the film? That might had the missing scene.

I have all 4 copies of the film on VHS (1983, 1990, 1993, and 2001), and none of them have that deleted scene unfortunately. I realized it WAS a bootleg copy I rented, and if you read here I can prove it. This is why I want people to send me at least a recording of the film from Disney Channel or Family Channel airings in the 90's with that sequence intact.
speedy fast  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:22:54 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

I wonder if the re-edited version was introduced in the early 1990s or in the 1980s.
LuckyToon  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:57:47 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

I wonder if the re-edited version was introduced in the early 1990s or in the 1980s.

It was in the 90's. Since I believe the film's TV airings on cable networks didn't come until that time.
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#20 Posted : Monday, February 26, 2018 6:50:36 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

bump

rare Disney Channel promo from the 90's of Warner Bro's Bugs Bunny's 1001 Rabbit Tales( with Sheep in the Deep)