Gumby 1960's Vol. 2 available on iTunes - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HeySteve  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 6:51:23 AM(UTC)
HeySteve

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The DVD isn't scheduled for release until September 13, but it is already available on iTunes.

It looks like they are following the same censorship policy they did with 1960's Vol. 1. The episodes "Gold Rush Gumby", "Indian Country" and "The Indian Challenge" are missing from this set. In addition to that, the two episodes missing from 1960's Vol. 1, "Siege of Boonesborough" and "Pokey's Price" are not included either.

I will still buy the set so I will have a mostly complete collection of restored Gumby shorts, but I am very disappointed by the decision to skip over episodes because of content considered politically incorrect by 2010's standards, but not so much consiered politically incorrect by 1960's standards, which is when these cartoons were made.

At least restored transfers of all the missing episodes are still on YouTube via Kabillion.
Toonatic  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 8:23:18 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 153 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Have you tried contacting NCircle on the matter?
HeySteve  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 5:22:50 AM(UTC)
HeySteve

It appears NCircle is not completely at fault.

The decision to omit these episodes appears to have come from none other than Joe Clokey. This is coming from an anonymous reviewer on Amazon (which I assume to be Joe):

"As for the three episodes mentioned. My dad did not want them released. He did not write those three, and he felt that they could be interpreted as not respectful of Native Americans of which he is 1/4 Crow. When you look at the episodes he did write that featured Native Americans like "Rain Spirits" and "School for Squares" he made an attempt to tell fun stories that also had good morals and lessons for kids. He felt that those few episodes featuring Native Americans that he did not write did not meet his standards, and he did not want them released. He was never happy with those three."

While I am still disappointed by the decision, I will be buying the set. There are going to be some nice bonus features on the set that will make the purchase worthwhile, and the episodes "This Little Piggy" and "Foxy Box" were never released on VHS by Family Home Entertainment in the 1980's, so for the longest time I only had seen the redubbed versions that aired on Nickelodeon.

While I sold off all my Gumby VHS tapes a while back, they are easy enough to find on eBay and I can buy them again to get the episodes that are missing.

This scenario is similar to Warner Bros' treatment of "Mouse Cleaning" and "Casanova Cat", except, as I mentioned before, the restored versions of the missing Gumby shorts are still available to watch on YouTube. As we all know, Warner Bros. will never release their newer transfers of those two Tom & Jerry cartoons in any form.
thanks 3 users thanked HeySteve for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 9/7/2016(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 9/8/2016(UTC), OutOfOdor on 10/24/2016(UTC)
Mario500  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 9:08:48 PM(UTC)
Mario500

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Here is a hyperlink to the full version of the message quoted above.

By the way, one of the episodes referenced by the message ("The Indian Challenge") was released in the Gumby DVD sets released by a company named Rhino back in the year 2002 (the "dad" mentioned in the message was still alive back then).

Edited by user Wednesday, September 7, 2016 9:18:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

wiley207  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 8:22:11 PM(UTC)
wiley207

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HeySteve Go to Quoted Post
This scenario is similar to Warner Bros' treatment of "Mouse Cleaning" and "Casanova Cat", except, as I mentioned before, the restored versions of the missing Gumby shorts are still available to watch on YouTube. As we all know, Warner Bros. will never release their newer transfers of those two Tom & Jerry cartoons in any form.

Don't forget the Looney Tunes "Censored 11!" Except I'm not sure if new transfers of any of them were made.
nickramer  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 10:08:44 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 178 time(s) in 147 post(s)
While that's understanding, why was "Pokey Express" still included then? Didn't Gumby at one point scare away the Indians by posing as a solider? I'm sure Clokey wrote that one.

wiley207  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2016 10:46:15 AM(UTC)
wiley207

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
While that's understanding, why was "Pokey Express" still included then? Didn't Gumby at one point scare away the Indians by posing as a solider? I'm sure Clokey wrote that one.

I think Gumby made peace with the Indians at the end of that one. Plus, the 2013 reedit of the short closes with a shot made for the "Indian Trouble" cut-down featuring Gumby and Pokey smiling with the one of the Indians while they all wear feathers.
Bradskey  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:26:04 AM(UTC)
Bradskey

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Finally picking up a copy. Guess I missed this, but worthwhile animation releases are so rare these days.

I do have the old Rhino set so I do have a few of the missing episodes there, sans original audio.
HeySteve  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:02:55 AM(UTC)
HeySteve

Since I had not spotted this set in any brick and mortar retailers, I ordered the set off Amazon about a week after release when the price had dropped to $14.99, which is what each of the first two sets were selling for at Best Buy when they were released. For those who were hoping to just walk into Best Buy, Target or Walmart and buy a copy, you've had no other options excpet Amazon. Well, it looks like that is about to change as the news blog on the Gumby website says that this set will be on store shelves for the Holiday shopping season.

As I have watched the entire set and all the bonus content, let me just say that once the 1980's series gets released, that "Gumby Essentials" DVD will become obsolete. All the bumpers from the Essentials disc are on this set. There is one promo bumper from the early 1960's that was not on the Essentials disc, but has been on YouTube for quite some time. The full version of the film "The Clay Peacock" is included, as I had only seen short clips from this film on YouTube. The 1967 theme song is included as well. On the first few sets, the 1967 theme is only brifely heard during the menu screens. There are interviews with animators who had worked on Gumby, and they were all done during the event GumbyFest. The video of these interviews is also availble to watch on YouTube.

Perhaps the most interesting inclusion in the bonus materials is an unreleased Gumby theme song from the 1960's. A few clips from this film did make it into the 1967 "Heart" theme song. The sequence for this song ends with the the title "A Gumby Thanksgiving Special". I am curious if there was such a TV special. The only episodes that would fit the bill would be "Pilgrims on the Rocks" and "Pokey's Price", and those two episodes do not make a full half-hour TV special.

In other news, I saw a listing on Amazon for Gumby: The Movie, and a release date of February 2017. The listing was for a DVD, but Joe Clokey has said that a Blu-Ray release is possible as a high-definition transfer of the film does exist.
thanks 2 users thanked HeySteve for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 10/20/2016(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 10/20/2016(UTC)
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 12:34:02 AM(UTC)
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HeySteve Go to Quoted Post
The DVD isn't scheduled for release until September 13, but it is already available on iTunes.

It looks like they are following the same censorship policy they did with 1960's Vol. 1. The episodes "Gold Rush Gumby", "Indian Country" and "The Indian Challenge" are missing from this set. In addition to that, the two episodes missing from 1960's Vol. 1, "Siege of Boonesborough" and "Pokey's Price" are not included either.

I will still buy the set so I will have a mostly complete collection of restored Gumby shorts, but I am very disappointed by the decision to skip over episodes because of content considered politically incorrect by 2010's standards, but not so much consiered politically incorrect by 1960's standards, which is when these cartoons were made.

At least restored transfers of all the missing episodes are still on YouTube via Kabillion.

And the original soundtracks are still there

Gumby's pal Pokey..:") I agree...I'd rather have them than not at all.