"Mr. Fogg and His Talking Dog" - Forum.
OutOfOdor
2020-06-27T00:42:16Z
Okay, here's something I'll bet might be a bit of a stumper, but going through a YouTube upload from some kind soul of a 50 cartoon VHS from Diamond Entertainment, I found some real oddities you usually don't find on these type of VHS tapes amid the usual stuff - some films concerning Gulliver's Travels, the Battle of Bunker Hill and Casey at the Bat from the '70s produced by John Wilson's Fine Arts studio - and a real mystery film known as Mr. Fogg and His Talking Dog for which I presently can't find anything about - all Google gives me is another tape from Diamond containing the same cartoon. Here's a YouTube link to the tape, with a timecode so you don't have to scan through other cartoons to find it:
https://www.youtube.com/...HOITNMTcc&t=5h02m30s 
If I was to guess as to what this is, I'd say it might be a TV pilot of some sort. As to who made this, I've no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was created by John Wilson's studio. Any information about this oddball short is appreciated!
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
Mesterius
2020-06-27T13:04:37Z
Originally Posted by: OutOfOdor 

Okay, here's something I'll bet might be a bit of a stumper, but going through a YouTube upload from some kind soul of a 50 cartoon VHS from Diamond Entertainment, I found some real oddities you usually don't find on these type of VHS tapes amid the usual stuff - some films concerning Gulliver's Travels, the Battle of Bunker Hill and Casey at the Bat from the '70s produced by John Wilson's Fine Arts studio - and a real mystery film known as Mr. Fogg and His Talking Dog for which I presently can't find anything about - all Google gives me is another tape from Diamond containing the same cartoon. Here's a screenshot of the two main characters from the short if it helps ID its origins:
UserPostedImage
If I was to guess as to what this is, I'd say it might be a TV pilot of some sort. As to who made this, I've no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was created by John Wilson's studio. Any information about this oddball short is appreciated!

Why don't you link to the YouTube video? That could possibly help someone identify animators etc.
OutOfOdor
2020-06-27T13:20:53Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Okay, here's something I'll bet might be a bit of a stumper, but going through a YouTube upload from some kind soul of a 50 cartoon VHS from Diamond Entertainment, I found some real oddities you usually don't find on these type of VHS tapes amid the usual stuff - some films concerning Gulliver's Travels, the Battle of Bunker Hill and Casey at the Bat from the '70s produced by John Wilson's Fine Arts studio - and a real mystery film known as Mr. Fogg and His Talking Dog for which I presently can't find anything about - all Google gives me is another tape from Diamond containing the same cartoon. Here's a screenshot of the two main characters from the short if it helps ID its origins:
UserPostedImage

Why don't you link to the YouTube video? That could possibly help someone identify animators etc.

*facepalm* Thanks for that tip - I should've done that. Here's the link to the tape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvHOITNMTcc 
Just so you know where the cartoon plays, it's at 5:02:31.

"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
Mesterius
2020-06-27T13:40:39Z

Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

UserPostedImage

*facepalm* Thanks for that tip - I should've done that. Here's the link to the tape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvHOITNMTcc 
Just so you know where the cartoon plays, it's at 5:02:31.

You can also link directly to the relevant part of the video by adding timecodes at the end of the url, such as "&t=5h02m30s".

https://www.youtube.com/...HOITNMTcc&t=5h02m30s 
OutOfOdor
2020-06-27T15:02:15Z
Thanks! I've edited the OP with the link with the timecode.
SuperMuppet64
2020-06-27T15:51:37Z
interesting. i have a feeling ive heard the opening music somewhere, but i can't recall where. the cartoon ending abruptly is odd, but i also noticed there's a fake fade out at the end, seemingly right before any credits for the cartoon are set to appear. i wonder if the single other diamond entertainment corp tape with this cartoon has them? i doubt it.
OutOfOdor
2020-06-27T22:45:34Z
Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 

interesting. i have a feeling ive heard the opening music somewhere, but i can't recall where. the cartoon ending abruptly is odd, but i also noticed there's a fake fade out at the end, seemingly right before any credits for the cartoon are set to appear. i wonder if the single other diamond entertainment corp tape with this cartoon has them? i doubt it.

That opening music is "SF-14 The Cockeyed Colonel" (aka "Light Movement") from Capitol Hi-Q, originally from the Sam Fox library. I honestly can't help but think the edits might've been just so DEC could've thrown this in on the 5-hour tape without worrying about it taking up too much space. Honestly, I can't help but wonder if this guy  has seen this? If you've a Tumblr, maybe you could? I'd ask the guy myself, but I'm not on Tumblr.

There's also a fake fade-in at the beginning as well - possibly to hide a mention of whoever made this?

Does anyone know who's performing the voices here, out of curiosity? I think knowing the names of whoever's heard on this, and knowing where they were based, might help us find out WHERE this was produced - although part of me speculates this was produced in New York.
nickramer
2020-07-01T14:47:12Z
I think all the voices were done by Hal Smith. It sounds like him.
OutOfOdor
2020-07-01T15:14:21Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

I think all the voices were done by Hal Smith. It sounds like him.

I actually already knew this - somehow he was right under my nose, but I have to thank Jerry Beck for telling me. Thanks anyway, Nick.
Mark The Shark
2020-07-02T12:47:36Z
I don't know if this will be of any help or not, but I did a search on the title and came up with this VHS tape with a few cartoons on it. It mentions a series called "Adventures In Learning," and notes it's narrated by actor E.G. Marshall. But as this is a PD tape, that doesn't mean everything on the tape is necessarily from that series.

https://www.amazon.com/P...e-More-VHS/dp/B0007KUJ90 
OutOfOdor
2020-07-02T13:47:03Z
Originally Posted by: Mark The Shark 

I don't know if this will be of any help or not, but I did a search on the title and came up with this VHS tape with a few cartoons on it. It mentions a series called "Adventures In Learning," and notes it's narrated by actor E.G. Marshall. But as this is a PD tape, that doesn't mean everything on the tape is necessarily from that series.

https://www.amazon.com/P...e-More-VHS/dp/B0007KUJ90 

I've seen this tape before while doing a search on the title - but doing a search for it on eBay I found an image of the back, and I notice the E.G. Marshall credit is actually for whatever the Paul Revere film is, plus "Bunker Hill". It credits Hal Smith for Fogg, and also gives a 4 minute running time - I think that's about the length on the 50-cartoon tape as well, so I guess it's safe to say it uses this edited version as well - and that DEC's print must've had credits, but was edited out when they released it on VHS - unless somebody at the company just recognized Smith's voice.

It's interesting that this would show up on an "educational" tape - I can get the rest, but I'm presuming they just threw this in there to fill some time.