New Warners Restorations...- Page 2 - Forum.
Jason Todd
2020-05-23T10:46:13Z
Originally Posted by: LaughingBoy 

Yeah, again, take all my technical observation with a pitcher of salt, as I was just judging from my eyes on a laptop.

A few more of the restored titles confirmed include:

Hold the Lion, Please
Hot-Crossed Bunny
Fair Haired Hare
Robot Rabbit

If such is possible, would you mind posting some screenshots of these new restorations? I’d love to see how they turned out.
Justin Delbert
2020-05-23T16:16:26Z
Robot Rabbit at one point was restored in the late 90's for a long defunct video format that never made it to the states called VCD. Unless they made a new HD restoration, it's been restored for quite some time.

Yeah guys I think there is some sort of Bugs Bunny Blu-ray in the works. Not a complete series....that's too hard to clear right now, but if it's like 75% of the shorts (not all Bugs Bunny cartoons are good, I'm looking at you Pre-Hysterical Hare and Hare Breath Hurry), I think we're getting something special.
Leviathan
2020-05-23T19:26:46Z
Even that would be a step up from what this probably is; a one-disc hodgepodge of random shows a la the Tex Avery disc.

Thad indicated that the Famous Popeyes were the first Warner-owned shorts to be scanned in 4K ("all done in the new 4K workflow that no other Warner-owned animation has experienced" ), and the Tex Avery shorts and presumably these new Bugs shorts were done the same way. Are the already-restored shorts going to be stuck with sub-4K transfers forever?
rtalbot7
2020-05-27T09:32:02Z
Maybe not all of the newly restored titles are up right now, but I found 7:

Hold the Lion, Please
Hot Cross Bunny
Rabbit Every Monday
Fair Haired-Hare
Upswept Hare
Robot Rabbit
No Parking Hare
rtalbot7
2020-05-27T10:05:40Z
Originally Posted by: rtalbot7 

Hold the Lion, Please
Hot Cross Bunny
Rabbit Every Monday
Fair Haired-Hare
Upswept Hare
Robot Rabbit
No Parking Hare

But hidden away in the Tom & Jerry section are some new Tex Avery restorations!

The Cat That Hated People
The House of Tomorrow
Ventriloquist Cat
The Counterfeit Cat
tashlinfan44
2020-05-27T11:59:17Z

Hold the Lion, Please
Hot Cross Bunny
Rabbit Every Monday
Fair Haired-Hare
Upswept Hare
Robot Rabbit
No Parking Hare

I’d also like to add that “Hot Cross Bunny” and “Upswept Hare” are presented with original rings!
nickramer
2020-05-27T16:15:06Z
Is "Beanstalk Bunny" on the service? I still can't believe it's not on DVD/Blu-Ray yet.
PopKorn Kat
2020-05-27T16:56:29Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Is "Beanstalk Bunny" on the service? I still can't believe it's not on DVD/Blu-Ray yet.

It's not on the service, unfortunately.
Leviathan
2020-05-27T17:17:57Z
The HBO Max transfers of THE BLOW OUT and CHICKEN JITTERS are large improvements from their presentations on Porky 101. The former isn't as dark and the latter isn't as washed out and both have more picture on the sides.

CHICKEN JITTERS also has its correct opening music cue.
fulano7
2020-05-27T21:17:35Z

The House of Tomorrow
Ventriloquist Cat
The Counterfeit Cat

Are you sure these aren't upscaled Turner prints? Do they look as beautiful as the WAC bluray? If yes, then we can assume that they'll be in the WAC Tex vol. 2!

Newly restored LT shorts, at last. It's the end of a 5 (almost 6) years drought of properly restored LT releases in any medium.

There must be a Bugs bluray in the works, for sure. With the 15 shorts mentioned in another post here (I don't rember who posted), in that project for WHV Jerry is involved in.
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
rtalbot7
2020-05-28T03:02:55Z
Originally Posted by: fulano7 

The House of Tomorrow
Ventriloquist Cat
The Counterfeit Cat

Are you sure these aren't upscaled Turner prints? Do they look as beautiful as the WAC bluray? If yes, then we can assume that they'll be in the WAC Tex vol. 2!

Newly restored LT shorts, at last. It's the end of a 5 (almost 6) years drought of properly restored LT releases in any medium.

There must be a Bugs bluray in the works, for sure. With the 15 shorts mentioned in another post here (I don't rember who posted), in that project for WHV Jerry is involved in.

They are definitely without a doubt brand new HD restorations, so I'm certain that all four shorts will be featured on future Tex Avery Blu-Ray releases from Warner Archive.

:)
MTGM
2020-05-28T04:49:38Z
It looks like all of the golden age cartoons on here are restored, meaning both the Warner shorts and MGM ones. At this point it's probably safe to say that all of the Tom and Jerry cartoons have been remastered in some form or other. Just some observations: I noticed that some of the MGM shorts have small amounts of DVNR on them, though nothing major. All of the films have a very natural look to their colors, meaning there is no presence of whatever was going on with the botched remasters done between 2012 and 2015. The quality of the MGM cartoons in particular vary depending on whichever source material they used, with Baby Butch looking the best and Counterfeit Cat looking the most iffy. As far as I'm aware, none of the new restorations come from Metrocolor sources, which is good to see. All of the Warner cartoons look great and were definitely worth the wait.

Since no one has mentioned it yet, these new transfers go beyond the golden age cartoons; all or most of the Hanna Barbera cartoons have also been remastered in HD, the Flintstones, Yogi Bear, and even the original Powerpuff Girls, to name a few. That 15 dollar subscription fee is starting to make a lot more sense.
RoH
2020-05-28T09:06:21Z
Can anyone tell whether there're new restorations of Tom and Jerry? And if so, which ones are newly restored?
Thanks,
Blob55
2020-05-28T09:09:05Z
Can someone rip all newly restored cartoons? I'm from the UK and we're never going to get HBO Max.
Jason Todd
2020-05-28T11:48:57Z
Originally Posted by: RoH 

Can anyone tell whether there're new restorations of Tom and Jerry? And if so, which ones are newly restored?
Thanks,

All of the post-1953/pre-CinemaScope Tom and Jerry cartoons (from Baby Butch to Pecos Pest, respectively) are presented here in brand-new, HD restorations. Every single one of them look absolutely phenomenal, and I am absolutely blown away by the drastic improvement they are to the old Turner copies. I’m also quite pleasantly surprised that WB actually decided to revisit the remastering of the Tom and Jerry filmography, especially considering that we were all under the impression that they weren’t moving forward with that specific project.

The four Tex Avery shorts that have made their way onto the new streaming platform are quite breath-taking in their visual presentation, as well. One thing I did notice about Ventriloquist Cat, in particular, is that it looks considerably dustier and grainier than most of the other new remasters I’ve looked at, thus far. To comment on the user who inquired about whether these shorts were actually newly remastered or just upscaled Turner prints, none of the cartoons I’ve seen on HBO Max seem to be sourced from off-the-shelf TV copies (the only exception being the 1939 Porky Pig cartoon Chicken Jitters, which seems to be taken from an upscaled analogue transfer...though, I could be wrong).

The shorts initially remastered for the Golden Collection sets are presented as is, so no new scans were made for The Bowling Alley-Cat, Sufferin’ Cats, Puttin’ on the Dog, or Mouse Trouble...murky Metrocolor blemishes and all. I suppose that’s a small price to pay, though.

The Famous Studios Popeyes that have been uploaded, as of this writing, utilize Warner Archive’s recent restorations found on the Blu-ray sets. Thank goodness they’re not using those crappy A.A.P prints!

For a streaming service that just launched within the last 24 hours, I will say that WB has really stepped up its game. I’m impressed!
Mesterius
2020-05-28T12:52:29Z
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd 

Originally Posted by: RoH 

Thanks,

All of the post-1953/pre-CinemaScope Tom and Jerry cartoons (from Baby Butch to Pecos Pest, respectively) are presented here in brand-new, HD restorations. Every single one of them look absolutely phenomenal, and I am absolutely blown away by the drastic improvement they are to the old Turner copies. I’m also quite pleasantly surprised that WB actually decided to revisit the remastering of the Tom and Jerry filmography, especially considering that we were all under the impression that they weren’t moving forward with that specific project.

Okay, THAT's interesting! So these shorts are newly restored and done properly, without the overly dark colors of almost all the remasters for the second T&J Golden Collection set? Very good news... and honestly surprising, as I guess that means they were restored directly for the service.

Also, out of curiosity: does this mean all the Tom and Jerry cartoons except for Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat are available on the service in true HD?
Justin Delbert
2020-05-28T21:29:24Z
For the record, Designs on Jerry is NOT on here. That may be the only cartoon left to be restored Tom and Jerry wise. I think it's because it is pretty scratchy at the beginning and they don't have the money to restore it at this time. Neither is Downhearted Duckling
Jason Todd
2020-05-28T23:46:21Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Also, out of curiosity: does this mean all the Tom and Jerry cartoons except for Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat are available on the service in true HD?

No, sadly. None of the entries featuring Mammy Two Shoes are present. That could change, but I’m not counting on it.
Jason Todd
2020-05-28T23:54:09Z
So, at launch, HBO Max’s classic animation selection is, for the most part, limited to Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry and Popeye. As of this writing, only the respective films that were most-recently given the HD remastering treatment are present and accounted for.

I wonder when, and how frequently, HBO Max plans on expanding its content?
Mesterius
2020-05-29T01:30:03Z
Originally Posted by: Justin Delbert 

For the record, Designs on Jerry is NOT on here. That may be the only cartoon left to be restored Tom and Jerry wise. I think it's because it is pretty scratchy at the beginning and they don't have the money to restore it at this time. Neither is Downhearted Duckling

Aww, that's disappointing. So HBO Max DOESN'T have all the T&J cartoons from Baby Butch to Pecos Pest after all. Are these two the only ones missing in that timespan?

Also, if Downhearted Duckling is missing as well, doesn't that likely mean it hasn't been restored either? Or have there been signs that it has been?